How do I get him to eat?

I have a 5 year old boy that has a very limited diet. He's been reducing it even further and I worry that he's not getting enough nutrients. We went through this with him before about 2 years ago when he would only eat bread and water. We'd worked him back up so that he was getting some more protein but he's refusing food again. He doesn't eat alot of sweets and I try to always give him something healthy but I'm at my wit's end with this.

Myantek

Asked by Myantek at 9:56 PM on Jul. 3, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Drinks the best thing i make my kids there own organic drinks i put grapes and apples and strawberries stuff like that to get there nutriton or you can use a chopper so it chopps up things very small and hten they eat more but they think there eating less :)
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 10:02 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• make shapes out of his foods,try mixing veggies that have been mashed in a blender and mix together they will never know
    jojomommy

Answer by jojomommy at 10:03 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• You mentioned he doesn't eat *a lot* of sweets. does this mean he is eating some? what types of food IS he eating,and how little or how much. it is hard to answer without knowing a little more.But I do know that it is not uncommon AT ALL for a 5 year old to be going through this. Sometimes it is just a battle of wills.Other times a more serious dissorder.I have known a few whos children went through this and it was a TEXTURE problem. They became super sensitive to certain textures and would not eat accordingly. Talk to his doctor.Have a rough menue of what he normaly eats in a given week.He should be able to help if there is any concern. If its just bad eating habbits..he will get over it,with your consistant help.
    meagrandma

Answer by meagrandma at 10:08 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Talk to his doctor and ask about Pediasure. . Or get creative with foods, there are a ton of websites and cookbooks that offer ways to make food fun for kids. . Also, sneak stuff in some how, like if he likes pizza but hates veggies, sneak some green peppers or something under the cheese.
    Babs310

Answer by Babs310 at 11:17 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• If it's personal preference then don't give in, NO sweets without the nutrion going down first. That is a Law and there is no negotiation, you know best for them, your responsible for teaching him the rules he will LIVE by. But- if it's a more serious disorder mu suggestion is to try milkshakes and smooties, you can add yogurt, cottage cheese, fresh fruit, some veggies for protien. I use these when my kids are sick and don't want food, but they are still getting protien. Nutrition for kids is so important but so easy to skip and I know it. Good Luck and I hope you and your little guy can find a happy medium:-)
    raawmom

Answer by raawmom at 1:06 AM on Jul. 5, 2008

• I totally feel for you! I have tried everything and my 6 year old daughter just will not eat! She has always been picky, but it seems to be getting worse as she gets older. Mealtime has become such a battle in our house. People who have not experienced an extremely picky eater just can't possibly understand how difficult it is. I absolutely agree that no sweets be given unless a decent meal is eaten, but I also feel like she eats so little that I have lowered my standards as to what I consider a "healthy meal". For example, if she would just eat a half of a peanut butter sandwich and a few bites of a banana, I would be thrilled! Lately, I've been trying to not make it a battle and make it like it's no big deal. I'll let you know if anything works. Good Luck!
    mashmom

Answer by mashmom at 12:04 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• The rule is no sweets before lunch time and no sweets unless he's had a healthy meal. He'd rather not have sweets than eat something.
    Myantek

Answer by Myantek at 11:31 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• I'd take him to a pediatric occupational therapist. We did that for our son who didn't want to eat solid foods. He is still picky, but at 4 he is eating a lot more and adds items here and there. He only had 12 sessions, but I know they helped. Talk to your doctor and get a referral. I'd also suggest other testing to rule of autism.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 12:38 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I meant to type "rule out autism." Also, does he have sensory issues?
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 12:39 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Our pediatrician told us to put our son on vits every day because he refuses to eat vegies and to sneek in some vegies in his other food. When i make speg and meat balls I put greaded carrots in the meat mixture. Mash potatos are good for hiding stuff too lide colliflower or mix stuf in the mac and cheese. It has been good for us.
    kerriwebb

Answer by kerriwebb at 6:04 PM on Jul. 12, 2008