2 1/2 yr old's speech

My 2 1/2 yr old daughter speaks pretty well, she can speak in full sentences but sometimes she will say a word that no one can understand. It almost sounds like she is making up a word. She then gets very mad that we don't understand what she is saying. Has anyone else had a child that did this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:26 AM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would say that is normal...

Children get upset when there is a barrier, and her saying a word that you don't understand is a barrier.
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 2:29 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• usually she is trying to say something she heard and gets upset b/c she cannot convey her message properly
    CNLueck

Answer by CNLueck at 2:37 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• My son is 4 1/2 and he still makes up words and asks us what they mean. He was very well spoken at 2 1/2 too. At first I would repeat the word and he would tell me if I was saying it correctly. If I was, and it wasn't a word, I'd say "you made up that word, you tell ME what it means." Then he'd make up some crazy definition for it.
    icook

Answer by icook at 8:54 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Very, very normal.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:45 AM on Oct. 30, 2008