How do I get control of my child?

Ok, this is going to be kinda long, but I need parenting advice now more than I have ever needed it before! I have a 19 month old who refuses to try to mind I know that they do not understand alot of things but it's gotten to the point he stays up all night, takes the other sibilings food, causes scenes in public so we have to leave, we have tried time outs we have tried taking toys, he refuses to walk even tho when we have our back turned and sneak and watch him he will walk. He throws these pity tantrums the doctor said nothing is wrong with him only that he is a smart boy and that he knows how to get his way. Everyone including the doctor told us to let him cry it out we cant we live in an apartment complex and the neighbors gripe and report us to the office! Please someone please help out! We can't see a bright ending to this!

mfour42

Asked by mfour42 at 12:15 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't think you are going to get around the fact that no matter what you are going to try with him, he WILL kick and scream and fight you every step of the way - sounds like his personality.. although at 19 months and him not walking is kind of concerning to me but not completely unheard of.. I would get a book on raising strong willed children.,. they tend to test every step of every phase and every moment.. you need to get control now and be as consistant as you can because you will not be able to give this type of personality an inch.good luck
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:28 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• well i dont mean to offend u but my hubby and i spank our kids 3 and 2. they are the best kids. the listen they never embarass us in public. they know better then to throw a fit. they know they will get spanked and so therefore they want to avoid it all together. and my son is gifted so yes he also knew how to get his way and that is when we decided that is was time to start spanking him. they both stay in their beds and are very well behaved. we also stand them in the corner and then once they have calmed down we talk to them about what they jus did.
    proudmomma0708

Answer by proudmomma0708 at 3:12 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Get the book "Love and Logic Magic for Early Childhood". I'm not kidding. I have 3 boys 5,3, and almost 2. 6 months ago I wasn't pulling my hair out. My house was always a disaster my husband never wanted to be home and my boys were terrors. (The house and Dh thing were a direct result of my boys not listening.) Then someone introduced me to love and logic. Let me tell you it worked a miricle! As long as both you and your DH stick to it it can be a life saver literally.
    With living in an apt tho you are going to want to talk with both your neighbors and your LL. Just explain that your changing up your parenting style and that in a couple months or less things will be amazingly different.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 10:10 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Proudmamma One one hand I agree. I personally think there's a HUGE difference between a swat on the butt and beating your child. Unfortunately the government doesn't see it that way. Yes I know the Government has no place in parenting but unfortunately it's one of those things.

M4 you should also try the supernanny book as well.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 10:14 PM on Oct. 26, 2010