Do you use...

a natural laundry detergent and/or all purpose cleaner? If so, what brand do you use, or if you make something, what is your recipe?

donnareedonLSD

Asked by donnareedonLSD at 12:17 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Home & Garden

• i just use ALL
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 12:40 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• The all-purpose cleaner that I use is a mix of white vinegar, water & lemons. I cut up 2 or 3 lemons and shove them into the top of gallon jug of white vinegar, then put it in a cool dark place for about a month. When I need more cleaner, I fill a spray bottle 1/4 to 1/2 with the vinegar/lemon mix & the water

For laundry, I like soap nuts (http://www.buysoapnuts.com/) or I will make my own powdered laundry detergent. I have a top loading machine & like this recipe I found online:

1 Kirk's Castile Soap (or you can use Zote or a Fels-Naptha soap bar)
    1 Cup - Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda (NOT baking soda!)
    ½ Cup Borax

Grate soap or break into pieces and process in a food processor until powdered. Mix all ingredients. For light load, use 1 Tablespoon. For heavy or heavily soiled load, use 2 Tablespoons. Yields: 3 Cups detergent. (Approx. 40 loads)

If you prefer a liquid soap, look online for more choices.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 4:58 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• To clean my wood floor I use 1 tbsp vinegar with 1 cup of water. I make my own laundry detergent. I wouldn't say it's all natural, but it's definitely better for the environment as far as less land fill waste.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:47 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Personally, I am a big Charlie's Soap fan for just about everything. And bleach water for a disinfectant.
    donnareedonLSD

Comment by donnareedonLSD (original poster) at 9:57 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• OP, did you know that white vinegar is just as effective as a disinfectant as bleach, but considerably less toxic to your family? A 10% white vinegar solution will kill as many germs as that bleach water you're using and it's a lot cheaper to buy.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:40 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Seventh Generation is good.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 10:18 AM on Oct. 29, 2010