is my daughter sleeping too much??

She has always been a "sleeper" but she sometimes (like today) sleeps til 11 am and that's after going to bed at 730. Is this strange or could it just be a growth spurt??

randibosin

Asked by randibosin at 12:21 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I also wanted to add that my son has had issues with sleeping too much and when I say too much I mean he was sleeping anywhere from 18-22 hours in a 24 hour period at the age of 12 months.

Sure it can be "convenient" and "nice" but what you don't realize is sleeping a lot like that over a long period of time can negatively affect a kid such as poor growth and development. My son did this for 18 months straight of sleeping that much til we figured out why he slept that much. So no, it isn't always so wonderful to have a sleeper.
    Mipsy

Answer by Mipsy at 3:13 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• It could be just a growth spurt, or what is normal for her.....but I would take her in for a checkup just in case...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:34 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• id personally b counting my lucky stars i had a sleeper
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 12:39 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Ooooo goooddd grief!!! hahahahahahaha!

I would just be siting back thinking hallelujah!

My dd is the opposite...never has slept enough! Nothing I try can make her sleep even 30 min longer...ugggg!

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:50 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Lol, it is very nice that she sleep so much I just wanted to make sure it was not a bad thing. Her normal schedule is 730 to 8/830 and then nap at 2 to 430. I wonder if she will even nap today though having slept so long.
    randibosin

Comment by randibosin (original poster) at 12:53 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• My DD use to do that, they are suppose to sleep 14 hours at this age.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 12:55 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• It's probably just a growth spurt. If it keeps up like this and she still does take her 2.5 hour nap later in the day over the next couple weeks I would then go in and ask about it.
    Mipsy

Answer by Mipsy at 3:09 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Are you sure she actually fell asleep when you put her down? My dd is 2.5 and she sometimes plays for quite a while in her crib. I know this because hubby rigged up a night vision security camera that's aimed at her crib. We can watch it on his computer. She can be quiet for an hour, but we still see her wiggling around or playing with her stuffed dog.
    MonicaE521

Answer by MonicaE521 at 12:05 AM on Oct. 27, 2010