how to make baby fall asleep on thier own?

I have a 3 month old baby girl and no matter what I do she will not fall asleep on her own in her crib.She does really good at sleeping thru the night but she will not go to sleep without being held or rocked.Sometimes the minute I lay her down she will wake up and the minute I pick her up again she will go right back to sleep.There are nights we will play that little game for a good hour before she will stay asleep.Last night she actually fell asleep her in saucer seat/toy,I put her in bed and she woke up and then fell asleep laying on my bed as we were watching a movie.We have tried playing music in her room to help and that doe s not matter..she will send up screaming.Anyone have any ideas to try and get her in the habit of falling asleep on her own?

butterfly7909

Asked by butterfly7909 at 12:25 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• have you tried elevating her crib mattress? maybe she has a little reflux or its not comfortable for her to sleep laying all the way down... have you tried a snuggle wrap? I know the tighter my son was wrapped, the better he slept although he did fight being wrapped.. otherwise have you tried rubbing her chest or belly once she wakes after laying her down or singing to her?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:32 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• This may sound mean but let her cry herself to sleep if you know she is not hungry or wet and there is nothing wrong with her put her in her crib and let her have at it i know it will be hard but you dont want to be rocking her when she is two or three year old.
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 12:33 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• We have tried to wrap her in a swaddle.She hated it and fought so much that she gets her arms out and stuck so thats not going to work.I have tried to let her cry herself to sleep but once she got to the point where she was screaming so hard and was making herself choke and woke up her two older brothers I went in and picked her up and she fell right asleep in my arms.It is hard to let her cry but I still try that to a certain point.She loves to have her butt patted while I am holding her so if she does open her eyes when I lay her down I will do that till she closes them again and then I will leave the room.Usually don't take long before she wakes up screaming
    butterfly7909

Comment by butterfly7909 (original poster) at 12:41 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• She is only 3 months old, at this point you can't spoil her or ruin her sleeping habits for life if you rock her to sleep, or hold her until she falls asleep, in fact I'd think you'd WANT to do that. My daughter is 10 months old, and at this point, yes I can put her down in her crib at nap time or bed time with her mobile and she will go to sleep, but she still falls asleep in my arms a couple of times a week and it's precious bonding time.

We didn't start just putting her down to fall asleep on her own until she was about 8 months old
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:42 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Let her cry as long as she isnt crying for more than 15 or 20 min shes fine just make sure she's been changed, fed and shes warm. My DD's dr. even recommends this as long as they arent crying too long no more than 20 min. until they get a year old.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 12:49 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I agree w/mom2jack04 and the 1st poster about elevating her. My daughter is 6 months old & JUST grew out of needing to be elevated.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 1:42 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I would rock her until she gets drowsy, then when she is almost to the sleep point put her down int he crib and contuinue to patt her rear or rub her back so she gets used to falling asleep on her own. when she cries when she wakes up dont pick her up right away. she knows if she screams you wil go running. they may be small at this age but they are really smart! they have you figured out right away....if I scream mommy comes right in and cuddles with me. when she cries go to her and pat her rear rub her back tell her she is ok and then when she is calmed down leave the room. It may take a few nights of doing this but it will click to her that this is how it is supposed to be. If night time is too hard because of the other children practice it at nap time.
    melliesmom1207

Answer by melliesmom1207 at 1:47 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• She's normal. Not all babies are capable of putting themselves to sleep. Adjust your expectations and just keep putting her to sleep. She'll outgrow the need eventually.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:02 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• place her in er crib and walk away, chek in every 15 minutes until she falls aseep. It is the ferber method, andI hve always had all 5 of mine sleeping thu the night on a schedual y 4.5 monthes
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 2:03 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Sorry, JoLee, but three months is too early for this. Not before six months, per Ferber.

OP... she WILL learn to sleep onher own. Too early to expect it.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:15 PM on Oct. 26, 2010