Do you automatically assume...

...that when people ask questions on here that they are asking "in the moment" or are seriously inquiring for a now needed answer, or do you notice when they are sometimes asking random questions...

I typically take it the way the question is written, you can't usually tell if they need to know something for a situation or if they are just asking random question.

Recent Examples:

Do you like such and such name/names for a baby? --Why is it often assumed you are pregnant?

Or how do I get X stain out of X piece of furniture? --Why is it assumed that you have the stain right now?

Anyone else encounter this? Examples?

eh, not a pet peeve, or a rant or anything, just a random question that I've been wondering about for a while...it kind of goes along with do you really read the question before you answer it...

donnareedonLSD

Asked by donnareedonLSD at 12:32 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in About CafeMom

• I think they are random most times unless they state other wise with there question
    lovelypisces

Answer by lovelypisces at 12:35 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I am assuming that if a member is asking for opinions on baby names, it is assumed that she (rather than you answering) is pregnant. Same with the stain, I don't imagine she would ask if she didn't need to know and is hoping that someone previously dealt with that kind of stain.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 12:35 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I usually assume they are random.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 12:36 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Yes, I assume people ask the question because it is relevant to their current interest or needs. Even Just For Fun questions like "What's your favorite TV show?" are based off the interest of the person asking. If they weren't thinking of TV at the time they asked the question, they wouldn't have asked.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:37 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• i ask what pops n to my mind if ppl hate it dont reply mine are all serious even he odd questions are actual thoughts
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 12:37 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I have noticed that when I ask, say, a religious themed question people assume I am religious.
    adelinasmommy

Answer by adelinasmommy at 12:47 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Every question is relevant to some thought, but sometimes they are random relevant thoughts.

Most of my questions are random in my head anyway--gardening advice, baking soda uses, stain removal. I'm always interested in what others ideas are, even if I typically have a tried and true method. That's how I learn new things sometimes, and I like to collect ideas. Other's ways, other's opinions. The way I write gives way to as if the question is an urgent need to know now question. If that is the case, I usually google it.

donnareedonLSD

Comment by donnareedonLSD (original poster) at 12:51 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• That's kind of what I mean, adelinasmommy.
    donnareedonLSD

Comment by donnareedonLSD (original poster) at 12:53 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I think most ?'s are randon but, alot of them are asked b/c they need help with something that is going on right then- i don't understand how you can answer a question without reading it first though!

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 2:47 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Most of the time I think questions are random, unless there's something in the question or body that gives a clue that it might be a real, current situation. A lot of people seem to think that every question I ask is something that's actually going on in my life, even if I say that it's not. People assume a lot.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 11:25 PM on Oct. 26, 2010