Breastfeeding question for you ladies..

I am breastfeeding and I am starting to get sick, sore throat..What can I take? Is theraflu okay? The nighttime version okay too? I know not much is passed through milk but I want to make sure what I can take...

Kelly2573

Asked by Kelly2573 at 12:51 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would called your doctor on that one but i would think you could what you took while you was pregnant
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 12:55 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• pseudoephedrine, the active ingredient, is generally considered safe for nursing women, but if you have any supply issues I would stay away because it can decrease your supply.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:59 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• First and formost always call your dr or if your hospital has a lactation consultant I would call them. That said, here is a website that tells you the drugs that are ok and the ones that are not. Hall throat lozengers are safe to use for a sore throat. You can also pump right before you take the medication so that you have milk to feed the baby then pump and dump the next round of milk so that you will have fresh milk for the next feeding. Also if the meds say it will decrease supply power pumping before you start taking the meds will increase you milk production.

http://www.loveyourbaby.com/breast-feeding-and-cold-medicine.html
    melliesmom1207

Answer by melliesmom1207 at 1:34 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Yes, you can take Theraflu.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:13 PM on Oct. 26, 2010