Allergic reaction to hotel sheets?!

I stayed at a nice hotel this past weekend. I got a rash on my neck and face area. It itches and I can feel the bumps. Its not horrible but it has spread. I thought maybe they had bed bugs but I didnt see anything and i called the manager up and she had the pest control check and nothing was found. She said they have a very strong bleach/detergent that they use on the towels and sheets and it may be an allergic reation to that. Has anyone else had this problem? I showered at home and put on cortsone last night but the rash is still there. Any advice appreciated. I did no tuse any of their soap so it cant be a change in product.

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 12:54 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Health

• Could be that you are allergic to their detergent and/or bleach.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:54 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• How long will it take for me to stop reacting to it? Do i need to use anything besides cordisone? I have never had this problem!
    ria7

Comment by ria7 (original poster) at 12:56 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• could be , so to prevent that bring your own sheets . gets allergy test done and get one that does more than the normal testing.
    dolphin6975

Answer by dolphin6975 at 12:56 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I used to work as a maid in a hotel and I always broke out on my hands and got a rash from it. I know I get a rash from Gain detergent, so its entirely possible
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 12:56 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I know with poison ivy, my rash can last up to two weeks.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:58 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I would say it will last 3 days to two weeks. You might also want to try benedryl espeically is you are still breaking out. Cortisone is more after the fact where benedryl can stop the reaction.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 1:06 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Keep using a lot of body lotion and it should clear up in a few days.
    zbee

Answer by zbee at 1:15 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I think it's the detergent and/or bleach they used. Even in nice hotels, I've noticed the bedding smells strongly of bleach.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 1:23 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• It is very likely a reaction to their detergent/ bleach, in benedryl and cortizone dont clear it up in a couple of days see a doc
    DianeMary

Answer by DianeMary at 1:38 PM on Oct. 26, 2010