Son not standing to pee??

I'm a single mother and I don't know how to teach him to stand and go to the restroom, he's done it before but not consistant. Unfortunatley, this isn't something you can just ask a guy friend to help with, no matter how close yall are. :)

He's 5 and in Kinder already.

ShaunsMomma04

Asked by ShaunsMomma04 at 1:03 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would just telling him that's is what boys / men do.. you learn to pee sitting and now that he is really big, he can stand.. I am not a man but I can still figure out how to teach my son to hold it and aim.. that was not a bash lol!! just a statement as I have been showing my 3 year old recently - my sister read boys will be 80% more accurate if given an AIM.. so cheerios - that could be fun for him too - keep a bowl on top of the toilet and make it funner
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:10 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I would not worry to much about it. Try to teach him the best you can and when he's ready he'll do it. One of my sons had a urological condition and had to have 2 surgeries so he took longer and he still pees mainly sitting down and he is almost 6. I also have a 3 year old who taught himself to pee standing up, he goes both ways.I prefer when he goes sitting down, his aim is horrible!!..LOL. I've heard some moms put cheerios in the toilet and then tell your son to aim for them!! you can try that. Good luck..but really don't worry about it
    Sunflower722

Answer by Sunflower722 at 1:11 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• It doesn't matter! He can sit and go pee just like he does #2. Some boys stand and some sit... Not sure where you got the idea that they have to stand up.
    momofonelilguy

Answer by momofonelilguy at 1:11 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Honestly it makes absolutely no difference. Just because they have the ability to stand and urinate doesn't mean they have to. As long as their parts are in the toilet and not spraying the room it shouldn't matter.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:13 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• LOL my husband is 28 and he sits to pee. I have a 1.5 year old boy so we will see. I think it's ok as long as it goes in the potty. :)
    ktinaza

Answer by ktinaza at 1:23 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• My DS didn't stand to pee until he was 5 no matter how many times Dh or I tried to show and tell him that was what the big boys do. Now he is almost 7 and quite proud of the fact that not only does he pee standing up but he can pee on trees! Just love what he was taught on his first boy scout camping trip!
    niehoff9

Answer by niehoff9 at 1:27 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• My son started peeing standing up by watching the babysitter's son do it. She encouraged him to try while he was at her house, and he now does it all the time. I wouldn't force the issue though.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 1:40 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• My son was 4 when he started standing up to pee. We used cereal of any kind.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 2:38 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• It is just fine for him to sit and pee, should be less messy for you anyway...no aiming involved.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 2:40 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• my 4 year old wont stand to pee either.. he has like 3 times
    its such a pain, he will barely even go into the bathroom on his own, he wont unbotton his pants, his is pure lazyness
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 2:41 PM on Oct. 26, 2010