Would you let your kids play hooky for a special event?

Every year since my 8 year old was born, friends and I have had an annual cookie exchange party. We all bake and exchange cookies, have a potluck lunch, do secret santa gifts and crafts with the kids. It's a lot of fun, and the kids love participating. We usually host this party on a PA day in December, so no one misses school. However, this year there is no PA day in December, so we will have to host it on a school day (due to work hours, weekends don't work for me or many of the other moms.) This means I will either have to have two of my three kids miss the party, or will have to let them play hooky from school to attend. Some of my friends are giving their kids the day off and I'm thinking of doing the same... WWYD, give your kids an unofficial day off for an annual event, or have them miss because school is more important?

Freela

Asked by Freela at 1:10 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• Missing one day of school will not adversely affect them and I would let them have the day off.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 1:12 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• This is a once a year thing right.. I would let them miss school that day.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:13 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• if they haven't missed a ton of days i'd say let them 1 day wont hurt them
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 1:14 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I would let them play hookie for a special event as long as they didn't have something like exams going on.
    fireeyes81

Answer by fireeyes81 at 1:14 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I'd let them miss a day of school. I've done it before. I'd do it again.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:14 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I agree, missing one day of school won't kill them, I'd let them play hooky.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:14 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• If it is once a year thing I don't see the problem of them missing school!!! I am a person who feels that school is very important!!!
    Niseyjy77

Answer by Niseyjy77 at 1:15 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• for a special annual event yea i would
    Mamii0f2

Answer by Mamii0f2 at 1:15 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I would let them play hooky for the event.

Answer by older at 1:17 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• It depends on the event.

Something that's "once in a lifetime" like attending a sibling's graduation, yes. For an annual party, I probably would not.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 1:20 PM on Oct. 26, 2010