Why is there such a stigma about asking for professional help with a difficult child?

If you have any concern that your child might be developmentally delayed, why is there such a stigma about asking for early intervention or help? Is it because of the stigma about special education or mental retardation or autism? When someone has a concern about delay, the worst advice you can give is to calm their concerns. If you have questions, get answers for your child! Why is asking for professional help so weird to people?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:23 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Beats me! this is where I would go.....

Answer by older at 1:27 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I'm sure it's because they don't want to think their child is in "need" of special help.

Maybe it's because it could embarrass them? (which if it does, they shouldn't be able to have kids. That's wrong, rude,selfish. I could go on.)
    Anonymous

• I think of my child before anyone else's opinion.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:28 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I didn't think there was a stigma about that. It's better to ask for professional help then to ignore it if there is a problem.

Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 1:29 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I BELIEVE IT IS BECAUSE PARENTS ARE SO EMBARRASSED THAT THEIR CHILD ISN'T PERFECT. BUT HELL I WOULD RATHER GET THE HELP THAN LET THEM GROW EVEN MORE OUT OF CONTROL
    BANZGIRL

Answer by BANZGIRL at 1:37 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I think that some parent's are concerned that their child could end up 'labeled' and he/she would be stuck in developmentally delayed classes for the rest of their schooling with no chance at ever escaping that 'label'. I would imagine that's why there is a stigma. 

kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 1:43 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• because the stigma is most of the population , they dont get it , what it means and is to get help for disabled , mental , emottional needs kids untill they have one or one comes in the family , then some still dont'
    its so sad ignorance is all around , and empathy is so few.
    my son 10 has difficulties- he is autistic and adhd--- some people are so CLOSE minded , they wont see the difficulties in that for my child and only that i have a ''difficult child .
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 1:54 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• no one wants to hear their child has a problem, but its in the best interest of the child to get them the help they need. its sad that people feel they have to hide such issues all because others just dont want to take the time to learn about the issue and maybe offer some support instead of ridicule. i am a firm believer in early intervention, my 5yr old had a developmental delay, in all areas, she is now in kindergarten doing awesome and you cant even tell she was delayed.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 4:11 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Denial? A lot of people don't want to face the fact that there is a problem. In addition, if people aren't accustomed to kids and it's their first child, they may not be aware until later on that something is not typical. I think fear of the label plays in as well. People judge by labels. I also think some parents may feel pressured by the school system to pathologize a child who is not typical. At least these were factors that contributed to my not having my son diagnoses with issues earlier than I did. Because he was my first, he seemed 'normal' to me. I had nothing to compare him against. Because he had sensory processing issues he would become overwhelmed in groups and starting jk was hard for him... I never got the sense from the teacher that she wanted to help him to cope better. The impression I got from her was 'he's difficult, so medicate him to fix this problem.' I never got the sense it was to his benefit.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:36 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Con't. Ultimately, we did end up going through a detailed OT assessment and follow up with our son because, besides having some sensory processing issues which he has managed better and better as he gets older, he also has some learning disabilities when it relates to visual/spatial processing. Having that documented makes it easier for me to see his needs are met in the school system, though he seems to fall into some grey area where he does score with deficits in some areas but not badly enough to be given an IEP. Because he has very specific areas of difficulty, he also is more erratic as a student than behind... he might get an A on one unit and a D on the next, depending on what part of the brain those units are using. For instance, he is good at figuring out word problems in math because he has good language skills, but really struggles with geometric questions because his spatial sense is different than most.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:40 PM on Oct. 26, 2010