Ok is this true? I'm scared!

I'm retaining water really bad! All I have to do is REST my hand on my leg and I leave a perfect hand indentation. My grandma said that if I'm retaining water that bad the Doctor may induce me at my appt. tomorrow! Is that true? Or is she sharing some old world wives tales and scaring me???

MarlyeGirl

Asked by MarlyeGirl at 3:07 AM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Pregnancy

• some women swell up like pumpkins, but like flutterfae says, you would need to have other symptoms present for instantaneous induction. if you do start having any severe headaches, blurred vision, dizziness, faintness, etc, call your doctor right away. otherwise, why not check in with him/her in the morning? try to relax until then ok? hugs
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 3:54 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• how far along are you again? sorry forgot

if you are far enough along and doc thinks baby is developed enough (maybe even an amnio to test for lung development) AND if you have protein in your urine AND/OR your blood pressure is high, they are likely to induce you.

those are the symptoms of Preelampsia. This is very bad for you, not really for the baby as baby can be delivered. It can cause stroke, seizures, and at worst death for you.

But don't worry yourself over it. The doctor will do what is the very best for you and your baby.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 3:11 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Yes its very dangerous
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:17 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• It is quite possible that you can be induced if baby is at safe stage! Don't worry about the induction, I was induced and it isn't near as bad as people think (I was 11 days past due with my son) Good Luck and I wish you the best that everything comes out ok for you!
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 4:03 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I usually swell up like that late in my pregnancies too!! Yes it can be a bad sign but I had pre-eclemptcia with all my babies I pray I dont this time! anyway if thats your only symptom he probably wont induce you..... but if your are swelling that bad and have protine in your urine and elevated blood pressure i would say they will very soon as far along as you are!! Good luck keep us posted!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 7:45 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Those are signs of Preeclampsia, which is dangerous for you and your bambino.
    JLsMommy29

Answer by JLsMommy29 at 8:43 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Definite signs of Preeclampsia, very scary. Make sure you notify your doctor. Before I got pregnant with my first I weighed in at 115 after giving birth to my son I was 194. Due to water retainage.

It was terrible- they enduced my pregnancy because his heart rate was high and I ran a fever of 102/

Just don't stress and let nature take its course you should be fine.
    costa678

Answer by costa678 at 11:27 AM on Oct. 30, 2008