What are some good positive no spanking parenting tips you can share? adult content

AngiDas

Asked by AngiDas at 1:41 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Love and Logic. Me and my husband took the class being a friend recommended it.. if there are no classes offered, I would get the book.. very good and helpful!!!!!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:43 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Re-direction and time outs. By 3, they should know the basics about acceptable behaviour. Time outs are a great tool to not only give them a small time to think about what they did, but also give mom a time out to keep her cool.
    My time outs work for one reason..she doesn't like to be in timeout in an area alone so that is the best thing I can do. It gets the point across and I rarely have to use it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:50 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Agree with the time-outs above. Young children *really* do not like it. It's way more effective than you would think as long as it's used consistently.

Take the time to explain things to your kids. Break things down into *very* simple ideas for them and repeat yourself a lot. A lot of adult communication depends on a shared understanding of already-known ideas. Little kids don't have that knowledge. When you say not to do something, you really do have to explain *why* that thing is not appropriate. Use consistent vocabulary - eg. "this is not appropriate behaviour" when they have done something they should not and be prepared to spend some time outlining why it's wrong and what your expectations are.
    Allaye

Answer by Allaye at 6:06 PM on Oct. 26, 2010