How can I get my nine month old to gain some weight?

My little baby eats like constantly in a day he will eat 5 8oz bottles of formula, 5 4oz jars of baby food, he eats almost all fruits and vegies, and about 2 cups in total of rice cereal. He's eating fine its just that he isnt gaining weight. Does anyone have any tips that can help me out I'm starting to get scared?!?!?!?!

amandagrady89

Asked by amandagrady89 at 1:42 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Give him REAL food instead of baby food. 2 cups of useless garbage will just fill up his tummy and take up space that could be taken by something that actually has nutritional value. They slow down on gaining at this age, and it's normal. As long as he's meeting milestones, he's fine.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:55 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I would probably look to add protein and fat to his diet. Of course, check this with the dietician, but how about eggs which have both the fat and the protein, and would you be able to introduce dairy products? I know it's a little early but yogurt, cheese or cottage cheese might help him gain some. And meats could be good, too, like dark meat chicken or really any meat, if he isn't chewing yet you could puree the meat and spoon feed it. or cut it REALLY small. Avocado is packed with good fats, too. Maybe try offering the real foods before rice cereal, because I think that could just fill him up without being the quality calories you are looking for- let him eat some of the fattier stuff first. They also make baby food blends that have veggies and meats together, etc. Try to look for high calorie, high fat foods that are still healthy with ingredients that are actually food and that are words you can pronounce. Good luck.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:30 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Sounds like he's eating plenty of food, and it all sounds pretty useful to me. Did your doctor check out your baby? If the doctor isn't concerned then don't worry about it. If he is concerned, (s)he'll give you some advice. Your baby is probably ok.
    DivaDynamite

Answer by DivaDynamite at 2:07 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• real food
    see the dr.
    there are nutrictional drinks
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 2:07 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I have taken him to the doctors office for it and he is seeing a deittition for his weight and its not helping and he is a little behind on his milestones but not that much though
    amandagrady89

Comment by amandagrady89 (original poster) at 2:09 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• If he's eating healthy (and I agree about adding table food, my youngest dd was off baby food by 9 months and eating whatever we were for lunch and dinner) and isn't losing weight I wouldn't worry.  Some kids are just meant to be small/skinny.

My oldest daughter stopped really gaining weight after 7 months.  She still gained just at a much lower weight which continued until now.  She was only 18lbs at 1, 20lbs at 2, 32lbs at 5, 40lbs at 7 1/2.  She's 10 now and just hit 50lbs (she was so excited).  I refused to try and "fatten" her up like people said by drenching all her food in butter and having her eat other high fat/calorie food.  She's just meant to be skinny.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:44 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Ditch the rice and baby food -- unneeded and way overprocessed. Real whole fruits and veggies. click here and check out babyled solids especially the gil rapely article

If he's active and healthy don't fret about "fatness". weight gain does slow down.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:44 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• k how much does he weight? my ds didnt gained 1 lbs from 6mts 12 mts and the doctor was never worry. he is 20 mts now and about 22 lbs
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:42 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• he is 14lbs and his doctor wants him to gain some weight to about 16 or 17 lbs
    amandagrady89

Comment by amandagrady89 (original poster) at 1:32 AM on Oct. 27, 2010