Why is his stool so runny and gross? adult content

The almost 3 year old I nanny has never had a solid stool in the past 10 months (since I've been here). It is always sort of runny and gritty. And it smells like old man and death. Worse then anything I have ever smelled! Is he maybe not getting enough fiber? What could cause this? I have suggested the parents get it checked out but they just do laxative. (don't know why that would help). It is really hard to potty train when it takes him soooooooo long to poop! To get him to poop on the potty and not in his underwear I have to have him sit there forever! well I let him get down and run around for a few then put him back on. My daughter who is the same age has had solid stools for a long while now and it only takes her about 5 mins or less to go. anyone have any advice or reasons as to why he may be going like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:47 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Maybe something he is eating or drinking, When my 22mo drinks apple juice it makes her stool VERY liquidy. IDK about the grittyness but I would bet it's all caused by something he is consistently eating or drinking.
    luv2mum

Answer by luv2mum at 4:21 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• im not sure but it sounds like maybe he needs to b checked by his doctor
    mg25

Answer by mg25 at 9:51 PM on Oct. 26, 2010