How do you split time for your kids, between your parents and in-laws for the holidays?

Shanna84

Asked by Shanna84 at 1:51 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Holidays

• DH, DS and I go to my In-laws place Christmas morning, and My Families house in the evening. Works well! As for thanksgiving, last year we had thanksgiving day with my family, but we had a special thanksgiving a week before with his family. This thanksgiving we're having it at our house with both his and my family :D
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 1:54 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• For Thanksgiving we usually alternate- 1 year at my mom's the next at mil's. For Christmas we end up having 3 Christmas celebrations. When I was growing up we had the tradition Christmas Eve was with Dad's family, Christmas Day Mom's family, and we still do this. My mil always has her Christmas on a random Saturday in December that way everyone can make it.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:02 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• For us it worked out that his family always celebrate christmas eve and mine always celebrate christmas day. As for Thanksgiving we rotate. As for my siblings they just rotate all the holidays.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 1:56 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• For us, we tell everyone that Christmas morning is just for us. That we will run ourselves ragged on Christmas Eve, and later Christmas Day, but that until about lunch, we will be at our house enjoying our family, and if they want they are welcome to join us, but we are not coming out of hiding until after lunch on Christmas Day. They also know if they crash us, well they better be ready for all of us to be sitting around in our pajamas enjoying our time together!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 2:11 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• We don't. We spend the holidays with DH's family every year. My family lives 900 miles away, so that would be an airplane ride (or a long car trip) that we couldn't afford to do on a regular basis. Plus my family really doesn't do much for Christmas anymore (unless they picked it up again since my brothers and 8 year old nephew live w/ my parents).
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 2:14 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I've always loved Christmas, but now, 3 of our 4 kids are married and it is just next to impossible to accommodate every one's schedule without hurting somebody's feelings. It's only October and I'm getting the "bah humbug" feeling already.

Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 2:18 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• We don't. Our family lives 3000 miles away, we can't afford the travel! So we celebrate with our other "family", our military friends who are quite often like family! But I kind of enjoy not having to be running around on the holidays, we get to stay home and enjoy each other as a family. No stress :)
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:23 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• It depends, but I never like having to figure it out. My parents live nearby, but his parents are in another state (but only a few hours away). Before we had kids we alternated between my parents and his parents' houses for Thanksgiving and Christmas Day each year. I like my son to have Christmas Day at home though, so that complicates the decision. We typically visit with both families around the holidays, but not necessarily on the holiday itself now.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 3:39 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• . This year Christmas is on Saturday, so we will go down Friday and stay until Sunday. We will spend most of the time w/my mother. Her house is big enough for guests and more space for kids to run. We will go to my MIL's on Christmas day for about an hour or two. Until the kids get restless and bored over there (Oh I will get bored too) My MIL is not too interested in my kids. DH has 4 kids from prev relationships ages 23-21 and I think she was tired of grandkids after them.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 3:53 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I dont have in laws, sadly they have both passed on, but I have divorced parents so it is basiclly the same thing. Thanksgiving is our day as a family and since DH and I dont really care for turkey all that much I usually make Mac and cheese and we hang out at home. For Christmas eve we go to my stepmom's mothers house to spend the evening with her family. Christmas morning we do our family thing then get dressed and go to my dad's for our annual family breakfast ( it has been a tradition for the last 22 years) then we go home so DD can rest and I get things ready to go to my mom's for dinner. It is a very exhausting 2 days.
    melliesmom1207

Answer by melliesmom1207 at 11:47 AM on Oct. 27, 2010