Please tell me your answer: O.K. to put baby to bed with Pacifier in Mouth?

Reenie81

Asked by Reenie81 at 1:51 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• yes , in fact the dr.s in the NICU told me to , it keeps baby breathing , keeps mouth open and helps prevent a babe sleeping face down , please give a pacifier to your baby.
    when it comes time to take it away if you have to down the road , cut the tip of pacifier off and kid wont want it anymore to okward , my son got to where he had to have it all the time up to 4 yrs old and cutting the tip off it stopped right away , but a baby needs to have something oral thats safe.
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 2:04 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Yes.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 1:52 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I always did for all three of my kids.

Interestingly, there has been research showing that the use of a pacifier can reduce the chance of SIDS. I don't know how accurate that is, but I think it makes sense.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:53 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• you are supposed to , it helps lowerthe risk of SIDS. Ipersonally dont use them, but yes it is ok
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 2:01 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• yes it is very ok and safe...infact some believe that babies sleeping with a binky can help reduce sids because it keeps them kind of awake to suck on it.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 1:53 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Yes u can ...no worrys
    mom2jordan1

Answer by mom2jordan1 at 2:07 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Yes, I think its comforting and helps them fall asleep faster.
    REMcKean78

Answer by REMcKean78 at 2:28 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I never considered not doing it.  Sucking is a natural reflex for babies and they find it soothing.  It helps them fall asleep so...binkies are to help them fall asleep easier.  That's why they use them in hospitals when there are 10 babies in the nursery and only a few nurses. 

On a side note: I don't think I could be a nursery nurse.  I spent an hour in the nursery with my youngest son and it was chaos and so much constant noise.  There were 4 or 5 nurses and like 20 babies including 4 sick ones needing more attention (mine included).  I was happy to go home to my house with just 5 kids after that, lol.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:36 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• yep. all three of mine did and they are all okey-dokey.
    rfurlongg

Answer by rfurlongg at 3:50 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Yes.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 4:01 PM on Oct. 26, 2010