What exactly does gestational diabetes do?

What does it mean? What does it do??

MarlyeGirl

Asked by MarlyeGirl at 3:38 AM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Gestational Diabetes has nothing do to with weight, etc... it is how the placenta handles glucose. With GD, the baby will produce more insulin to counteract the fact that the placenta is preventing the correct breakdown in your body. This can cause several things to happen.... high birth weight, low birth weight, difficulty during birth that can cause broken clavicles, etc in baby, it can also cause stillbirth. I have had it twice and lost a child to it 5 years ago in utero. It must be managed properly and insulin is sometimes required. I hope that this helps.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 9:37 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• it means that due to pregnancy, your body is not breaking down sugar the way it's supposed to.

I know it can cause babies to be larger than average...

hopefully someone else knows the other effects of it.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 3:40 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I'm just afraid cuz my mom had it and my bro is morbidly obese and my cousin had it, and her daughter is 16 and weighs over 300lbs.... I don't want my baby to go through what I went through!!!
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 3:42 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• not sure my doctors think that I possibly have it I go get tested friday for the 3 hour glucose and I checked with the nurse it is 3 hours. Anyways I am freaking out I didn't have it with my son so it is all new to me!!! As soon as I know more information on it I will be posting it I am sure
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 3:57 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• http://www.diabetes.org/gestational-diabetes.jsp
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 4:45 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I had this with my last pregnancy 3 years ago, and even had to take insulin shots the last 5 months. I am 5'2, have had three kids, and the most I've ever weighed even at 9 months was 127 pounds (my 1st pregnancy at 25 years old). Normally I weigh about 107-110. I am also a vegetarian (my whole life ... not a choice I made, but pretty much raised that way). I eat healthier than anyone I know, and this still happened to me. There are no heavy people in my family. None of my children are heavy, nor were born heavy. 1st (son) weighed 7.3; 2nd (daughter) 5.4; & 3rd (son) 5.2-1/2. Not one is heavy to this day! From reading, I do know genetics plays a large part in this, but just because you have been diagnosised with this, please do not automatically assume the worst. Best wishes ;)
    RockyMtnMom3

Answer by RockyMtnMom3 at 4:59 AM on Oct. 30, 2008