How do you make vegetable soup? What do you put in it? Do you freeze soup to eat later?

My grandmother makes a huge pot of soup with fresh vegetables from the garden and freezes it to eat when it cold. She gave me to bags last week and it was so easy to take it out in the morning and heat up later and make sandwitches. I want to put up some soup and am looking for different reicpes.

cassey.e

Asked by cassey.e at 1:52 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I do freeze my soup if I have alot left. Heat it up later on when I don't know what to make for dinner. I put meat --vension or groundbeef or just soup bones. I put leftover vegetables or frozen or can vegetables. I use beef broth either can or left over from a meal. I put worcheshire sauce and hot sauce in mine. I just add stuff that I have and presto have a great soup. I make mine in my crockpot most of the time.
    crazymomof4787

Answer by crazymomof4787 at 1:56 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I make creamy veggie soups every Monday! there is one basic recipe I use for any kind of veggie, just sautee a big onion in olive oil until translucent, cut up the veggie of your choice and add water depending on how much soup you want to make and add, three cubes of "maggie's" veggie broth, along with salt and pepper, oregano and let it simmer for at least 45 minutes, then blend with hand blender or regiular blender and add half a cup of whipped cream cheese.  If you want creamier soup, add a quarter cup of cornstarch diluted in some water and add when the soup is boiling, when you reach the consistency you want, take off the heat it's done!!!!

Answer by older at 1:59 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• There is never enough soup left of mine to freeze so I have never done this, but I am sure it can be done. I freeze my food in one of those seal a meals packets than can be sealed and frozen then boiled in water without it falling apart.

Answer by older at 2:01 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Velveeta
    Chicken broth
    broccoli
    cauliflower
    carrots
    MMMM!
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 2:31 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• try allrecipes.com...they have lots of great recipes and ideas
    MLH92108

Answer by MLH92108 at 3:24 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• My favorite veggie soup for when I don't have a lot of time is easy - brown 2 lbs ground beef with chopped onions and drain. Mix meat, 2 lbs frozen mixed veggies, tomato or vegetable juice, some water, beef boullion, black pepper, parsley, chili powder, and any other seasonings that sound good. Dump in the crock pot for a few hours or simmer on the stove til the veggies are to your liking.

When I have more time, I'll chop up all the veggies fresh but follow the same basic idea. It freezes very well. Chili freezes well. I frequently make potato soup with lots of veggies in it and freeze that - some people will say a creamy or milk based soup doesn't freeze well, but it does. And I agree with MLH, check allrecipes for recipes, it's a great site and you can easily save the recipes you like.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 4:01 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I toss a bunch of stuff in the crockpot and let it simmer all day. What goes in depends on what I have on hand. I've used all the below in various combinations:

beef broth
    chicken broth
    turkey broth
    turkey gravy
    veggie broth
    potatoes
    carrots
    bell peppers
    celery
    rice
    stew meat
    leftover chicken
    leftover turkey
    meatballs
    frozen veggies
    pearl onions
    tomatoes
    V-8
    frozen corn
    ramen noodles
    egg noodles

then whatever seasonings I have on hand: garlic, onion powder, italian seasoning, pepper, etc.

If you use noodles or pasta, I recommend boiling them separately until done, then adding them to your crock about 15 minutes before serving. Otherwise, they can get gummy or fall apart.

it never comes out the same, but then it also never gets totally boring either!
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 4:02 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I don't use fresh veggies, I keep a bucket in my freezer for all the leftover veggies we have after each meal. I dump them in the bucket and when it is full I sautee onions and mushrooms and then add in the veggies and then add chicken stock. It gets either tomato or cheese added to it depending on our mood and then noodles or rice depending on our mood.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 5:59 PM on Oct. 26, 2010