Holidays at your house... Do you have to invite everyone or can you pick and choose lol

I know it sounds mean, but there are a few members of mine or my husbands family that we just dont see eye to eye with. They are rude when they do come around. So would it be awkward or wrong to only invite who we want? Usually the emals are at my grandmas house but shes getting older so we decided to have it ion our (my husband and myselfs) home... What would you do?

madsmom314

Asked by madsmom314 at 1:54 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Holidays

• I invite everyone and hope for the best.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:56 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• They should respect that you are the hostess and keep their mouths shut, they can always decline.
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 1:59 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I have this problem too. I have a sister inlaw that always seems to create tension at get togethers. There is no way that I could exclude her from the holidays. But one time when she was at my house she really started up and I basically told her to leave my home. She did and she now knows that she can not act that way at my house. Maybe you can invite them all and if these people are creating a bad atmosphere just tell them what you expect in your home and if they can't behave like that then they need to leave. Good luck!
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 2:02 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I always invite everyone. However, I will say though, I will remind the ones I really want to be there, the ones that I don't, well not so much, lol.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 2:10 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I think almost every family has this problem!! We have Christmas at my MIL's house and she invites who ever she wants.There are some people that we are not that close with but we just have a good time, my husband usually just ignores who he does not like!! We never had any major problems!! Last year there was a family "dispute" and last minute she asked a family not to come. You just have to go with what feels right. If it's your first year entertaining at your house invite who you want, it is your house. Do you talk with the people that you don't want to invite at all? If not don't invite them.
    Sunflower722

Answer by Sunflower722 at 2:17 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I think it depends on the relationship. If you invite some siblings and not others, or some aunts and uncle's and not others. you may end up creating drama when you are trying to avoid it. If one sister is invited and the other isn't there will be hurt feelings, parents might be upset, grandparents, aunts or uncles....because they are related to those people too.

If I host something at my home, I generally invite everyone, someone would have to do something really terrible to be left out....and I mean seriously terrible........

If one of my family members invited me to a holiday and they just left one person out...just because they didn't like them....now it would be different if they had stolen something or beat their child.....but if they left them out just because they don't like them, I might not go myself, and might just do something at my own home.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 2:41 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I usually have Christmas for both sides of our families sometimes different days and sometimes at
    the same time...My dh has a low tolerance for one of my sisters, but seems to ignore her while she is here...
    Thanksgiving usually at my MIL's, but bc of injury, she most likely won't be doing any holiday gatherings and
    we will know if I am doing all holiday dinners at my home... and we have an open door policy, just not in the mood
    for Holiday drama if someone is left out so it's all or none and hope it all works well ...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 4:34 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• owwwwww , everyone or i would be shot.
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 6:24 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• just fil comes
    san78

Answer by san78 at 7:34 AM on Oct. 27, 2010