Can you die from MS? (Multiple Sclerosis)

YES IVE GOOGLED IT lol but there are many different answers. My mom had MS and growing up she always told me that you couldn't die from it and it wasn't hereditary. She passed away unexpectedly when I was 16 from a brain aneurysm caused by lesions on her brain that were told to me to be caused by all the medication she was given over the years to treat the MS. So, was it the meds or the MS? Can you die from it and is it hereditary? Like I said I have found various answers. Also are you someone living with MS ?
This is a question I have wrested with for 10 years now...

madsmom314

Asked by madsmom314 at 2:00 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Health

• wrestled with*****
    madsmom314

Comment by madsmom314 (original poster) at 2:00 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• One of my best friends has MS. Although I am not sure if you can die from it I do know that it does slowly eat away at you. My friend has lost her eye sight and before that she had to use a walker because she could not stand up with out it. She was told that soon she will be in a wheel chair and after that she will lose control of her body functions (such as going to the bathroom). I am sorry that you lost your mother and I hope you can find the answers you are looking for. But it might be best if you talk to a doctor about it at your next check up. They would be the best person to get your answers from. Good luck.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 2:04 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• My husband has ms. As for an answer to your question, my understanding is that you don't die from ms like cancer. But MS affects every one differently and the toll it takes on your body and mind. There is a group call moms with ms that is a great resource.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 2:09 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I've heard that you can die from complications of ms.
    randibosin

Answer by randibosin at 2:12 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• People can and do die from complications due to MS.. But the MS itself does not kill, like say cancer or other diseases.

MS attacks the central nervous system. Some people the MS is more agressive than it is in others. Some people suffer more sever relapses that cause more neuro damage than others do. No 2 people "suffer" (for lack of a better term) from MS in the same way really.

Complications due to neuro damage can and does kill many people who have MS.. But not all. Some can live with MS for a lifetime. Some can not.

As for your mom. Yes, it's is entirely possible that the meds contributed to her death. Especially if she was born/diagnoses/treated 20-30 years ago or more. Back then, not much was known about MS. And the Symptoms were treated rather aggressively. The combo of different meds for many years could have contributed to her death more than neuro damage from the MS.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:19 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• My DH has MS
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 2:20 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• My mother had MS, she was diagnosed when she was 45, although they said she probably had it for years at that point. She died from complications from MS when she was 67. 3 years ago. Its a horrible disease and it takes on so many different forms. Unfortunately, my mother had it bad and it was painful, she had seizures, and was bed ridden just about the last 10 years of it. I despise the disease. It defined our family for over 20 years.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:22 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• My dad has MS and sees one of the best Neurologists in the world for MS and he said that you cannot die from MS but an MS related illness or disorder. Just like you can't die from AIDS but and AIDS related illness. MS has less than a 2% heredity.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:17 PM on Oct. 26, 2010