Do you read to your baby/toddler?

My friends do not read to their kids, they just let them watch tv.
I don't mean to be snotty, but I'm 5 months pregnant, and I already read to my little one!
When I babysit, I read to the kids/nieces/nephews!
When my baby comes out, there will be a set routine to bathe, sing, read, and then night time (hopefully it works out that way!).
I don't think it's asking too much, but the one friend in question goes to a football party, with her 4 year old daughter and husband, every Sunday. She lays on the couch and watches Disney/Nick for an hour or so every Sunday, and NEVER reads to her daughter, nor does she hand her books!

^^ On a different note, I have a friend who has a 2 year old and a 3 year old, and they always have at least two books in their hands! Very proud of her!

smokisses

Asked by smokisses at 2:18 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• I always read to my daughter. She loves books and pointing at all the pics. As for watching tv, she also does that but I chose nickjr for her because its all learning cartoons.
    randibosin

Answer by randibosin at 2:20 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I read to my son every night...or at least I try to. Sometimes I am just way to tired. He is only 17 months old and he will bring me a book at night when its almost bedtime so either DH or myself can read to him. I love it. It is so cute lol
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 2:20 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Good for you reading to your LO in the womb I have done that with both of my kids and they both love books.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 2:22 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• i love to read to my almost 3 and almost 2 year olds they love it. Right now my son LOVES " In A People House" He can even read some of the words and when I get done he goes read it again mommy. I think you should read to your kids i mean my son is almost 3 and he can semi read a little... and i think reading to your kids makes them smarter. Not reading to your kids is just lazy.
    proudmomma0708

Answer by proudmomma0708 at 2:23 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I can't vote up anymore today, but I will vote everyone up tomorrow! Very awesome of you liss05, and that's soo cute Shelii! I agree, momma0708, VERY LAZY OF THEM!!! SHAME, SHAME!
    smokisses

Comment by smokisses (original poster) at 2:25 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• In the womb- No i tried to read aloud .. but felt silly! lol.. i think next time around it will be easy since ill have #1 to read to while pregnant. KWIM?
    For the first 6mo I would read to her occasionally. but usually was tooo tired to do it daily.. After about 6mo I would read to her during nursing times.
    She is 4 now & we always read before naptime at least & will read to her at other times when she wants.. but its a MUST to read atleast 1 book a day to her at our house.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 2:39 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• We have always read to our girls. My oldest started reading on her own at age 3 and my youngest started reading at age 4. it is such a great way to bond with your kids too.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 2:47 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Reading is the number one thing you can do to foster early reading in your children. Such a shame that so many do not do this.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:50 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Yes, I read to my 2 yr old every day. Most days we get at least an hour of reading between the naptime and bedtime routines, and we read more if he asks for them or if I think he needs a break from a frustrating toys or something. There are books in his bedroom, in the playroom and on a shelf in the living room, so he often looks at them on his own too.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 3:34 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• i read to my baby when i am nursing her and also reading to my 5yr old at the same time, my toddler i try but her attention span is like a typical 2 yr old so i do it a couple times a day, but real short books, and i read to my 6 yr old everynight (we are currently reading The BFG and it is to funny)
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 4:07 PM on Oct. 26, 2010