Siblings!!!HELP

I have 2 girls that are almost 7 and just turned 5. They are driving me nuts with the bickering and "Mom! she...." or the "she is looking at me while I am reading!"...."That is the swing I wanted to swing on!" I have tried not to get involved in all of this, up until now it has worked. We have a simple solution. My oldest was born on an even day and the other an odd day. So on even days she gets to make the choices and 'wins' the arguments....on odd days my other DD gets all of tose benefits. It isn;t working anymore, time for a new approach.

HELP!

mom2queenie2004

Asked by mom2queenie2004 at 2:18 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• My DIL has a kindness chart. The girls have to do a cetain number of kind things for their sister and they get stickers for complying. Then at the end of the week they get a surprise trip for ice cream or after two weeks a trip to a free museum, get to go out to eat, or other such things.

Also I have heard on Supernanny to play board games as a family and do it in teams. Alternate who is on the teams so that the kids are team mates every so often. It fosters cooperation. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:48 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Your kids may be too young for this approach but it is one of the best ones I've ever heard. Good friend of mine had a girl & boy.....they were probably about 12 & 8 at the time. My friend got so tired of hearing them argue over minor things she decided to give them something to really argue about. For one entire week they were not allowed to talk to or be with anyone else. They ate their meals sitting together at a table, they had to sleep in the same room, sit by each other in the car, watch only one television, if they played a game or read a book it had to be with their sibling. They had no contact with their friends. If their mom heard them arguing she added an additional day to their punishment. It didn't take long for the two kids to figure out how to resolve their differences without involving mom.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 2:24 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• wow dyndudes ..
    san78

Answer by san78 at 4:29 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I've used the 'If you can't work out your differences, you will have to play separately until you are ready to work them out.' And then send them to different rooms in the house. They generally will get bored on their own and will go and make up with their sibs so they have company.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 6:32 PM on Oct. 26, 2010