Breastfeeding, pacifiers, not vaccinating

i have a couple questions.
First, i am 24 weeks pregnant with my 3rd child. I tried breastfeeding with my other 2 children, with my first i was put on a med, that i could feed and i pumped and dumped for 6 months before giving up. My 2nd child breastfed for 3 months, untill hubby had to give her a bottle and he didnt want it anymore...
I really wanna make this one work. Its going to be my last child and i want to breastfeed. i want to know some advice on what to do. How to make it work.
Pacifiers, my first had a pacifier and i couldnt get her broke untill she was 2. my second wasnt interested, so im not sure weather or not it will help with breastfeeding or not. Any thoughts?
And not vaccinating. My husband and i have decided not to vaccinate our children since our 2nd was born. but both my children had there newborn shots. This one will not, any advice on how to tell the docs because im having a c-section and wont be

mommyofAurora

Asked by mommyofAurora at 2:19 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There to tell the docs no. How do i tell them? Hubby will be there with the baby... what can i tell them to make sure they dont vaccinate them?
    mommyofAurora

Comment by mommyofAurora (original poster) at 2:20 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• (To the vaccinating questions) Write out a birth plan that specifically states that the baby is not to be given the Hep B vaccine. You have to sign a form anyway, in which you would just check "decline" but just to be safe, include in your birth plan that your Husband will accompany the baby to the nursery and hold him/her for all newborn procedures. Instruct your Husband to make sure they dont inject your child with anything.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 2:22 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• okay. Thanks!
    mommyofAurora

Comment by mommyofAurora (original poster) at 2:26 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• the hep b vaccine given in the hospital is optional, not mandatory. they usually ask if you want them to give it to them or have the pediatrician do it at their first office visit. when they ask you just tell them you decline it, they cannot force the vaccine on the baby against the parent's wishes. they wont ask til after the baby is born so you personally can tell them no, but tell your husband the same thing just incase they ask him before you are out of the OR. i really dont think they give it to them that early though.
    if the reason your 2nd stopped BFing was because your hubby gave her a bottle, make sure he understands this time not to do it unless he's giving her a bottle of breastmilk. breastfeeding is a lot easier when you have support.
    Anonymous

• - In ur birthplan put no paci as well.. If a baby never gets one, they wont miss it. and it may help with breastfeeding.
    - bottles can sometimes mess up breastfeeding but not always. (i nursed but she got a bottle a few times in the first month & once every weekend & was fine)... If a baby is hungry they will eat.. :)
    i dont know exactly what u where doing the other times so i dont know how to help you make it better. just make sure you are nursing on demand & sometimes she will nurse alot more than others - its a growth spurt- she is not starving & ur supply is not going down. Just do the best ya can & CM is always here with any questions along the way. u can do it!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 2:34 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I have had three successfully nursing babies. The first few days, let the baby nurse as often as you can stand. Try to keep baby awake enough to get some good practice in those early days before your milk comes in. Don't give bottles or pacifiers for 5 or 6 weeks. No supplementing with formula. Trust yourself to do this. You can do it!
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 2:39 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• My husband had to give my 2nd a bottle because i was back in the hospital and she couldnt visit me. It was that or let her starve. I really want this to work! I cant afford formula and bottles, so it must work!
    mommyofAurora

Comment by mommyofAurora (original poster) at 2:50 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• No bottles, no paci's. Nurse on demand. As far as the vax, you have to sign permission slips for everything, even the stuff they put in their eyes. :) Don't sign them. Tell your husband not to sign them. Put it in the birth plan. I have four children, the younger two were nursed to 2+ years. The oldest didn't have any vax til he was 18m. 2nd got them at birth and, whether or not they caused it, he's autistic. So #3 and #4 are 100% vax free. Be aware: most peds won't see unvaccinated children.
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 2:56 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• First of all, write a birth plan that clearly states that not shots are to be given and no bottles of either formula or sugar water are to be given. To be successful in breastfeeding can be work for some women, but some things that helped me were: no pacifiers, every time the baby has the urge to suckle, nurse. Even if it's only been 30 minutes since the last nursing session. For the first few weeks wake the baby for all feedings, day or night, until your milk is well established. After that, wake only for daytime feedings to establish a good day/night pattern. Bottles are ok, but only after your nursing is well established, and try to find one that is as similarly shaped to a breast as you can. Like Tommee Tippee, Nuby, or Breastflow, and use breastmilk in it if possible. Use lanolin regularly to prevent chapped nipples. Have the lactation consultant evaluate the baby's latch at the hospital.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 3:54 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Cont., And let your nipples dry for a few minutes after nursing when you can. Good, supportive bras are important, but make sure they don't compress your breasts as this will hinder your supply. Good luck, I hope you get to nurse as long as you want to this time!
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 3:56 PM on Oct. 26, 2010