Why??? adult content

Would any mother recommend a mom who is asking a question about masturbation from a 9 year old feel the need to recommend to see a doctor about it?

Asked by older at 2:21 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • Sorry. It was just an option.
    randibosin

Answer by randibosin at 3:10 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• because they don't know how to handle it themselves. (no pun intended) silly, isn't it? and sad, for the child. people need to get over themselves and their insecurity with their bodies, and face facts. if you don't know your own body..who else will??
    reacting that way to a child's curiosity is only setting him/her up for problems and self-issues.

makes you wonder how parents like that even conceived children, eh? you'd think they'd be too scared to even have sex!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:24 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• why do you SHEILII have to post what you just posted , seriously she can ask what she wants , if you dont want to answer her then dont !!!!!!!!!!
    maymummy

Answer by maymummy at 2:25 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Same reason EVERY time someone asks a question about ANY thing..someone ALWAYS has to answer with "Go to the doctor".

EXAMPLE:I am pregnant and I have gas, is this normal? Go to the ER!!!!!
    My 4 month old is drooling, is he teething? Go to the DOCTOR or ER!!!!
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:28 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Because sometimes a parent doesn't know how to handle it, and they trust their pediatrician to give their son the facts about masturbation. I'd definitely have my daughter talk to a doctor if she felt uncomfortable talking to me about something.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 2:29 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Sheli, I just want to know why anyone would think this requires a doctors visit, simple.............................I can't understand why! would you do the same?

Comment by older (original poster) at 2:24 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I would say that there are times when this could be recommended. Like when there is no father in the childs life and the mother is uncomfortable with talking about it.

However, if you are uncomfortable talking about things like this with a child, you shouldn't have had one since it's our job as parents to make sure that they are educated about life and their body.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:25 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I think seeing a doctor about it is just plain silly. He is at that age where he is learning about his body how it feels...ect and it is perfectly naturall and should only be done in private.
    proudmomma0708

Answer by proudmomma0708 at 2:25 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• ballewall, what is there to handle? just explain this is done in private end of conversation.......

Comment by older (original poster) at 2:31 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I only stated seeing a dr about it because you didn't know whether to tell him to stop or not. I wasn't stating that anything was wrong with your son or you. It was just another option and if you didn't like that option you didn't have to use it. And dullscissors, that was very cruel to say. Just because I didn't have a great suggestion on how to deal with masturbation you have to say something about me like that?? I didn't know suggesting a dr. Visit was going to get me attacked. Very sorry!
    randibosin

Answer by randibosin at 2:34 PM on Oct. 26, 2010