does your kid wear hearing aids? adult content

my son 10 , was born with a hi-frequency hearing loss , which took till 3 yrs old to be found out , did your kid need speech therapy , mine is still in it and ot also , does your kid wear aides all day or only at school?

letstalk747

Asked by letstalk747 at 2:23 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My 20 year old was diagnosed w/ hi frequency loss when he was 12!!!! He was reading lips, saying "what?" a lot and had Lyme disease when he was 7, it may have started then. He did start to talk late, but her preK teacher and I worked with him a lot. (he ALWAYS had "equivocal" hearing tests at the pediatrician, before they were testing every newborn in the hospital.) My son WILL NOT wear his aids. I think he was just diagnosed at the completely wrong time in his life. He is supposed to wear them all the time. When he was in school, they kind of "made" him wear them, but he'd take them out all the time.....it was a huge disaster for us. He is not in school now, graduated from high school, took some online college classes and has a job and seems happy. He still says "what?" a LOT!!!! Hugs to you and yours.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 2:41 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• my girls have great hearing... but here's a bump for you... we did worry about my 2 year old, and hers has improved over the past two years.
    asil

Answer by asil at 7:11 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Mine don't. I did know a kid with hearing impairment growing up and since they didn't find out till he was a little older, he did need some speach therapy.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 10:48 PM on Oct. 31, 2010