Halloween saftey

Our parish(county) police department is going around to all of the registered sex offenders homes and posting a sing that says, "STOP NO CANDY AT THIS RESIDENCE" I think this is a great thing to help keep our kids safe this Halloween. These offenders are not suppose to hand out candy, because they are ot suppose to be near children and this is just another step to make sure they stick to the program. What do you think? Are the police doing this in your cities?

dmbutler

Asked by dmbutler at 2:48 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm not aware of them doing it here, but they should if they're not. It should be done EVERYWHERE!! And not just on Halloween! Kudos to your police department!
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 2:51 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• That's cool. I just make sure I am right with mine while ToTing. LOL I live in a Parish too.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:51 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Thats kind of a good idea but it seems like parents could do that themselves without making a spectacle of the home where the offender lives.

In michigan we have a sex offender registry where you can get the address & picture of any sex offender in the state.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:35 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• So these offenders live near children, but are not supposed to be near children, giving out candy on Halloween. What do the police do to stop pedophiles the other 364 days of the year? Besides, I thought it was illegal for neighbors to make a spectacle out of the home that a sex offender lives in, but it's okay for the police to do it?

The only reason why I say this is because 5 years ago, a man who lives two blocks away from us, was arrested for inappropriately touching a 10 year old girl (his daughter's friend), and even though he STILL lives here, it is WELL KNOWN by all of the neighbors to avoid his home like the plague! Neighbors take it upon themselves to inform new neighbors about him. Naturally, he has the best decorated house for all of the holidays--especially Halloween--where their are literally hundreds of kids roaming our sub-division!! UGH!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:41 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• What do the police do to stop pedophiles the other 364 days of the year?

Thats what i'm saying....Is is the responsibility of the police to keep children safe or the responsibility of parents?

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:58 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Thats what i'm saying....Is is the responsibility of the police to keep children safe or the responsibility of parents?

***

That would be the parents!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:28 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Hit return too quickly...

Police can only respond to an incident AFTER THE FACT, or if they catch someone in the act of committing a crime, and are limited by a number of laws. Parents however, CAN and SHOULD intercede and prevent such incidences LONG before they becomes an issue or before putting their children in harms way!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:30 PM on Oct. 26, 2010