Has anyone else ever heard of a dog saliva allergy?

A friend brought her cute puppy over for a visit the other day. The kids were running around in the yard with the dog. My 2 year old who has a long list of food allergies, started to get red and itchy on one side of her neck, one side of her face and one ear. She has never reacted to a dog before and this one is supposedly hyper-allergenic (Poodle mix), so I'm thinking dog saliva allergy which is apparently not that rare? Have you heard of it/know anything about it?

Hazelnutkin

Asked by Hazelnutkin at 2:48 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Health

• All allergies to furry pets is something in their saliva, not their fur.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 2:49 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I thought it was usually an allergy to their dander. People react to cats without being licked, right? Isn't that true of people who have usual dog allergies?
    Hazelnutkin

Comment by Hazelnutkin (original poster) at 2:58 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• ALL allergies to pets are NOT due to something in the saliva. Most generally the allergy is due to the dander in the animal's fur. My thought on OP's question is that it's possible that the dog's food may contain a product your child is allergic to. Thes, this would be transferred to the child via saliva. No different than being allergic to peanuts and kissing someone who just ate peanut butter.

So, it's NOT the actual saliva, but something in it that the dog ate that your child may be allergic to and therefore presenting a reaction.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 3:18 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• *Thus (sorry for the typo)
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 3:19 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I just did some more research and talked to the allergist's nurse. Dog dander is caused by dog licking themselves/dog saliva so it really is the same thing. The dog food issue might be the real question, though, because she has never reacted to any other dogs.
    Thanks, ladies. Anyone else?
    Hazelnutkin

Comment by Hazelnutkin (original poster) at 3:27 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• My best friend is allergic to dogs and goes to an allergist too. Per her allergist and my vet, dander is not comprised of saliva. Dander is dead skin flakes just like dandruff from people. The dog's licking is what draws the dander to the top of the fur.

As for it possibly being the dog food, it all depends on what your child is allergic to and what was in that particular dog's diet. Not all dog foods have the same ingredients.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 3:36 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• In my experience, you can be allergic to just about anything! I am allergic to kiwi, for example - actually not the kiwi fruit itself, but a protein in the fruit that mimics a certain pollen. Dumb, I know. For the longest time I thought your mouth was supposed to burn after eating kiwi. I am also allergic to corn (pollen, not kernel).
    That being said, it might be that the dog ate or licked something your child is allergic to, not necessarily that your child is allergic to the dog's drool.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 3:36 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I've heard of it. It exists.
    If the dog licked the other children and they have no rash, it could be an allergy. On the other hand, the dog could have a bacteria in its mouth that your daughter has never come across before. Check with your doctor!
    Petite.Amante

Answer by Petite.Amante at 3:38 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• We are going to do another round of allergy testing (she did not test positive for a dog allergy last time), and I'm also thinking of letting a different dog lick her arm, and asking for the ingredients in that particular dog's food.
    Hazelnutkin

Comment by Hazelnutkin (original poster) at 6:06 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• My son's face gets puffy, his eyes get red and itchy if a dog licks him in his face.
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 5:12 PM on Oct. 27, 2010