Is not telling something as bad as lying?

BeachMom81

Asked by BeachMom81 at 2:49 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Just for Fun

• No, I don't think so.. I tend to "Omit" often - not about life changing events but things I know my DH would be upset about or things from my mom I know would upset her - it wouldn't effect them either way if they are things I told them, I choose not to though to prevent having to hear their comments about things lol!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:13 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• It's all dependant upon the reason why you aren't telling. Sometimes omission is also lying.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:51 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Sometimes it's not anybody's business to know....so no, I don't think so.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 2:53 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I believe so
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:51 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I agree with Jademom. It all depends on the situation but the fact that you have to ask tells me that it would likely be lying by omission.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:16 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I generally think the truth is best, but it depends on the circumstances. I just read this story within a news editorial recently, and this question reminded me of it. Sometimes omitting the truth could save a life or protect someone, but generally the truth is best.

"These words are depicted in a story of an old monk sitting happily in the sunshine outside his cave when suddenly a beautiful young woman comes running up to him, obviously very scared. “Please,” she cries out, “a man is after me who is going to kill me! Let me hide in your cave!” Without waiting for a reply, she runs in and hides in the darkest corner. A few minutes later a man on a horse comes riding along. He is brandishing a sword and looking very angry as he asks the old monk, “Have you seen a young woman?...

cont'd below
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 3:21 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• .....She was running this way.” Now, the monk was taught never to touch women or to tell a lie. So he calmly says to the man, “What would an old monk like I be doing with a woman?” The man accepts his answer as true and rides off. The monk did not tell a direct lie, but in this way he saved three lives: the woman, himself, and the man who would surely be killed for killing them."
    pam19

• In the case of the person is fishing then omit is best. Other wise I would stay out of it. lol. So no I think it is fine to hedge.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 5:16 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• depends , what the afteraffect is.
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 6:39 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Not telling a secret is way better than lying. I say no. Plus, I always tell my kids not to tell unless someone is in danger.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 7:40 PM on Oct. 26, 2010