Visiting a new daycare...?

What are some things I should look for?

I have already interviewed them and they seem to be in line with what I want.

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 2:55 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• I had to do this a few months ago...
    Make sure they rotate toys or have an area for play
    License showing on the wall or somewhere in view
    CPR training was a plus for me
    check floors and walls for hair/dirt just to give you an idea of clealiness.. i didn't expect perfection but there was a couple places I interviewed that had doors missing on the cupboards, rotten windows, doors with broken locks, backyard metal swing set broken and set aside in an area kids could play.. just red flag things to me..
    stuff like that.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:00 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• cleaniless....do kids take off their shoes? check out the bathrooms....diaper changing areas. security - doors, windows, where cleaning supplies are kept.
    do the kids look happy? are they playing and laughing?
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 3:00 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Workers actually interacting with the kids. Low child to adult ratio. Lots of stuff to do. Clean, nothing in disrepair.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 2:59 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• If the kids are happy, I look to see if the majority of the kids are crying or happy. How clean it is as well.
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 3:00 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I always made sure that they had an open door policy to parents. I didn't like the idea that I would need to call ahead to be able to come and check on my little one. I have gone and just peeked in and he never knew that I was there, but I was also able to see that they treated my child the same when they didn't even know that I was there. Also, ask about their dicipline procedures, time out ect. Thing to look at is the children's art work you'll be able to see what they're learning from it also look at how well maintained the toys and outdoor equipment is.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 3:04 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• everyone has pretty much covered most aspects. The only other thing I can say it that I would go there unannounced just to see what is going on. I know this may sound crazy but I on a couple of occassions I would go back to the day care and walk around without them knowing I was there to see how they were interacting and what they did when they didn't think you were there. Of course if it is an in home daycare that would be alittle difficult.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 3:09 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• #1 are they licensed & insured? How many children does each employee watch at the same time? Are the other children required to be up to date on vaccinations? Do they know CPR? Have there been any disease outbreaks there recently? (It should be posted). Is it clean? Do the other children there look well taken care of & clean? Are the other children content & not bored? Are they being watched attentively? Is anyone obviously sick? What is there policy on sick children? Is it safe (do you get buzzed in) for safety purposes? I always did a visit unannounced to see how it was besides a tour that was scheduled. Are there any extra fees that you were not told about like supplies? Good Luck!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:15 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• i agree with the above posters
    san78

Answer by san78 at 4:26 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• pop in UNANOUNCED!!!! and ask questions.... and LOTS of them...
    check to see if their doors are safe... such as can a kid just WALK out??? or does the center buzz you in and out?
    MOMMY2TWINBOYS4

Answer by MOMMY2TWINBOYS4 at 5:28 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Look and see if the kids are happy. That would be my main concern.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:13 PM on Oct. 26, 2010