AM i OUTTA LINE?

My twins are 6 going on 7 in December and they have yet to be taken off my hands for a few hours byt one of the 6 grnadparents. Okay let me re-phrase that! One grand parent has taken one of the kids once in 7 years, and made sure we understood that she would do it only if we couldn't find anyone else. Both were for surgeries! the fisrt time was a 6 weeks old one had an emergency surgery on stomach and we were to be there by 7am to pick the other up, and this last time was because of another reconstructive surgery, and by 9:30 that night they were calling wondering when we were going to pick them up!!??
The other 5 grnadparents have yet to take the kids to anything, and have NEVER shown up to any of their sports events. I am a litle upset about this but as an ONLY child, and them being my ONLY kids I would have expeted a little more from my family! Yet it is my family that is slacking!

-can I adopt some grandparents-

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:04 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I can sympathize because only my mother has done stuff with my kids in all the years we've been parents. My father and his wife actually took 2 of my kids overnight once because my youngest daughter had to get her tonsils out and all I heard after that was complaints about my son crying because he missed us (he was 3 1/2 at the time). And my husbands' parents don't even come to visit us, always claiming health issues but they're healthy enough to visit friends who live further away than we do. So I can't offer any solutions, just tell you that it probably won't get any better. If you belong to a church family, maybe you can befriend some older people who don't have family close by, invite them for dinner and help your kids become friends with them. It would be good for all of you, I think.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 3:10 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I feel you. We don't have any family either. I've had to resort to respite care through our county's foster care system when I absolutely needed someone to watch our son (DH was in the hospital, I had to work a holiday). I would love for some grandparents to adopt my kids! Not because I want anything material or financial from them, just for my kids to have the experience of being a grandchild!
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 3:34 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• WOW! I'm so sorry! For you that these ''grand-parents'' are so un-involved....for your kids that they don't have a special bond or really know their grandparents and for them for not being able to know their grandkids.

People are selfish. This blows me away!
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 3:07 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Have you told them you feel this way?
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 3:08 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• No you are not out of line, I swear God gives a bear to chinless people, I would kill to be a grandparent and do what grandparents do with their grandchildren!

Answer by older at 3:08 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Wonder why they arent coming around. Have you guys had a falling out? Do you invite them to all that stuff? Seems weird that they dont want to be involved!! Do they live nearby? How often do you see them?
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:09 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• That just plain sucks. Their loss, and one day they will be old and wanting people to visit but your kids wont care or know them. I have a similar situation, as DHs' mom lives an hour away, yet hasnt seen our kids in 5 years. YET, she will fly 5 hours away to see DH's sisters kids, several times a year, and goes on vacations with them and send them things, yet nothing at all for my kids....MY mom is the only involved grandparent, although she hasnt babysat for more than an hour, just cause Im always around and she is working alot, but it dosnt bother me, as she is involved, visits when she can and has fun with them.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 3:11 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• It can't make people do what you think they should so being upset doesn't make sense. It's their loss, you need to find a support system that wants to be around children. They aren't being honest, this is how they feel.  You need to find adoptive grandparents for your kids.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:12 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Yes I have "adopted granparents" and they are wonderful to my kids. I don't understand how some grandparents don't want a relationship with their grandkids or why they are not important to them.
    Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 3:20 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Do you have a good relationship with them all? ?I too find that very hard to believe NONE of them want to be an active part of their lives.. wow... do they like your SO ? has there been previous family issues or battles you have had with any of them??
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:21 PM on Oct. 26, 2010