My landlord let someone look @ my house without informing me. (LONG)

There are things she knew about the house where there is no possible way she could know unless she or someone else went in there. My house was messy, but nothing on nor in the house is damaged. We are in the process of moving! As soon as I told her we had to move, she totally filpped out!! And she is lying to potential renters. Idk what she is saying to them, but we have always paid our rent on time and never bothered her for anything. When something broke, I just fixed it myself. I know she is just pissed and she keeps demanding the rent check for November! She insistes that my 30 daysnotice is up is Nov 12, when I notified her Oct 10. When I called her out on being rude I pointed out that I have honored our contract She said "until I receive the rent for Nov you have NOT honored your contract" WTF!? The house is already rented and I have not showed the house to ANYONE! How is that even possible? What would you do?

scout82

Asked by scout82 at 3:11 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• Normally you have to provide minimum 30 calendar days prior to moving out. If you gave notice Oct. 10th, that's less than 30 days prior to Nov. 1st, so your notice is not in effect until Dec. 1st. So no, you are not honoring your rental agreement, and yes, you still owe November rent. You will probably lose your deposit as well.
    She has every right to be pissed, since you are leaving her high and dry. I have been a landlord, and I would be pissed too!! Which is why we usually required 60 calendar days prior to moving out. However, she does not have the right to show the unit without 24 hour notice to you. She may have thought you already abandoned the unit and was showing it, that has happened to us before.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 3:17 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• It's her house, she can come in at anytime and show it, if you have told her you're moving, and she needs the income... I do think she should have told you when she was coming so you could prepare for it, but again, when you rent you're living in someone elses home, so if it doesn't say anywhere that she's to inform you that she's coming in and showing it, then I'm afraid you're out of luck. As for paying for November, if you're under a lease/contract for a certain amount of time, you have to pay up to that point whether you live there or not.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 3:18 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Actually if the house is already rented then she can not demand rent for November...ask her to take you to court.
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 3:23 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• 1. she has to give you 24 hours notice to enter, unless there is an emergency. Showing a place is not an emergency, and you can actually say no. I have done it before.
    2. Do you have a lease? When does the lease actually end?
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 3:26 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I went through this with our last landlords and the judge said if the landlord has already rented the property then the contract has been completed by the renter and the landlord. Once the property is being rented by someone else then the landlord has released the former renter of any and all legal obligation to the lease because it is illegal to have a contract on one property by 2 seperate parties it is double dipping.
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 3:27 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Our rental contract says she has to give me a 24 hour notice to show the home. Its also says I ahve to give her a 30 day notice and rent will be prorated. I did honor the contract. I gave her 30 days notice.
    scout82

Comment by scout82 (original poster) at 3:34 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Oh and our lease ended in July 2010, so we have gone beyond the initial lease and are now on month to month
    scout82

Comment by scout82 (original poster) at 3:35 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I have no problem paying her for the portion of Nov rent I owe her its just that she is demanding me to pay her NOW when its not due until Nov 1.
    scout82

Comment by scout82 (original poster) at 3:36 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Oh ,well it sounds like she's just pissed that she's losing a tenant the pays on time. And now it sounds like she's trying to see if she can get double rent for one month. I would threaten her with court too. and DOCUMENT before you leave!!! Take pictures, videos, ect so she doesnt try to get away with anything else!! My last landlord did that to me too!
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 3:38 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• If you are being nice and want to pay the partial payment of rent from the 1st to the 10th then do it but that means you do not have to be off of the property until 11:59 on the 10th...DO NOT LET HER BULLY YOU OUT BEFORE THAT!!!!!
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 3:41 PM on Oct. 26, 2010