Do OPK really work?

I am TTC #2 and my periods have never been regular so I have no way of knowing when or if I am going to start my period. I have 3 or 4 periods a year. I have been to the doctors many times and they don't do anything.

I was thinking I could get OPK and try them for a whole month and see what happens, but wanted to make sure it was worth the money. Or know of any other tricks.

So if you have any info.. Thanks

AlinaM

Asked by AlinaM at 3:13 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• If you're only having 3 or 4 periods a year, then you are ovulating REALLY irregularly. Just curious, why won't your doctors do anything about this? I would recommend the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler- it gives great info on charting cycles, troubleshooting problem cycles, and natural fertility signs. It's definitely worth a read... and your doctor might take you more seriously if you can back up your statements with charts. I have used OPKs... for me they do work (at least most of the time- I did once get a positive OPK and yet never ovulate, as confirmed by bloodwork.) The catch is that they are pricey... I tend to ovulate late and would spend a lot of money monthly trying to catch my surge. I would honestly look into charting.... much cheaper, and gives you a better assurance that ovulation DID occur, unlike an OPK that just detects a pre-O surge with no follow up.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:20 PM on Oct. 26, 2010