Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 Bumps

how can i help my 19 yr old brother get released from state custody?

He is mentally disable. No one in my family would take the responsibility when the court tried to find a family member. No one called me. I have expressed that I would take care of my brother to his case manager I even put it in writing. What else can I do?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:17 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

Answers (6)
  • I would try contacting an attorney.

    Answer by hobbitswife04 at 3:18 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

  • Try seeing if they will put him in an adult school. So he can learn how to take care of himself. Maybe you can then prove he is able to live either by himself, with you or mayne in a group home. I worked with a company called helping hands with the DDD, and the adults who live in those homes are so happy. They get to take care of themselves and be resposible. They dont feel like they need to be taken care of.

    Answer by mommyofAurora at 3:20 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

  • You have to be a pest, call an attorney, make it known your not playing around and are there to help him. You might even just have to wait for them to release him, the system isn't that great, but Good Luck!

    Answer by NicholeAT at 3:20 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

  • his case manager has to recomend that he be released to your custody. usually at that point they (the state) will conduct a home study and question you to see if you are capable of caring for him emotionally and financially. if the social / home study report that you are capable of taking custody then (depending on your state) you will go before a judge and he/she will officially transfer custody to you.

    fyi, this process can be very long and stressfull. if this is important to you, stay on them about following through with all the paperwork (lots and lots of red tape). everything they recomend you do (ie taking class) do it, plus do something extra (ie taking 2 classes). be extra courteous ans sweet to your brother's case worker, what they recomend carries a great deal of weight.

    good luck!

    Answer by rfurlongg at 3:25 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

  • You could go to the courthouse & ask a lawyer of the day. There must be more steps to take! I would think you would have to be his guardian-get moving on this quick!

    Answer by NicolesMommy at 3:52 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

  • Consult an attorney to explore your options.

    Answer by _Tam_ at 7:21 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.