UNDECIDED ON PROP 8

IM A MOTHER OF 4 (BOYS 25,23,20 GIRL 15) I'VE READ THE PROS AND CONS ON PROP 8, I GREW UP IN A TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE HOUSEHOLD BUT THE THING IS I HAVE FRIENDS AND SOME FAMILY MEMBERS WHO ARE IN A SAME SEX RELATIONSHIPS AND IT DON'T BOTHER ME, I'VE ALWAYS THOUGHT IT'S WHATEVER MAKES YOU HAPPY BUT THEN AGAIN I'VE NEVER HAD TO DEAL WITH THIS SUBJECT WITH MY CHILDREN SO AS OF RIGHT NOW IM NEITHER FOR IT OR AGAINST IT MAYBE I SHOULDN'T VOTE...I DON'T KNOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? WHAT'S YOUR OPINION ON PROP 8?

LLORETTA

Asked by LLORETTA at 5:38 AM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• This was discussed a lot last night. Search the questions and you'll find it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:16 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I'll say it again.

This shouldn't even be a question. According the US Supreme Court "The freedom to marry has long been recognized as one of the vital personal rights essential to the orderly pursuit of happiness by free men. Marriage is one of the "basic civil rights of man," fundamental to our very existence and survival. " Loving v. Virginia, 1967

Frankly, I think the government should get out of the "marriage" business altogether. Any 2 consenting adults should be allowed to enter into civil unions, and receive all the rights and benefits afforded to currently married couples. If you want to be married by your church, and they agree to perform the ceremony, then go for it...but it should have no legal standing. Civil unions for all!
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 8:27 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I think that if a Gay couple wants to get married let them, I really don't understand what the big deal is.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:49 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• It's not a choice to be gay. It shouldn't prevent two people that love each other from being able to commit to each other for life. It's not anyone else's place to judge who someone loves, so why should anyone be able to tell a gay couple that they can't have the same rights as everyone else.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I personally don' t think anyone should be able to decide if gay couples can marry. shouldn't it be the couple's decision?
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 11:47 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I don't know the name of the law (or if it had a name) of prohibiting blacks and whites to marry each other. But what a load of crap it turned out to be, and I think that one day people will think the same thing about gays marrying each other. I mean, if you don't believe in it, does that mean the gay couple living next to you getting married will hurt you? I don't care if they marry each other, it's not hurting my marriage, for Heaven's sake! Who am I, (of all people and things) to say it's wrong? I'm not gay. I don't know what it's like to be gay. I don't now how they feel. So why should I try to decide if they are 'wrong'? I say, let them be.
    McGregor

Answer by McGregor at 12:12 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Discrimination is against the law. Not so long ago it was interacial marriages that were under fire. I too, am in a traditional marriage and I do not feel it diminishes my marriage in any way. I also have 3 kids. Two are still in school and I can tell you that marriage of any kind was not taught in school. The people who are so against Prop 8 have not really validated a legal reason behind it. It is all personal beliefs and feelings. I am voting to uphold the law.
    notjustamom848

Answer by notjustamom848 at 5:26 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• i am gay and i feel we should have the right to get married who gives them the right to say we cant whats so hard its aint a disease you wont turn gay if you drink the water lol
    mommydmcj

Answer by mommydmcj at 12:07 AM on Nov. 18, 2008