Trying to potty train a 2yr old who is scared of the potty!

I am pregnant with my second and I am trying to potty train my 2 year old daughter because the new baby arrives. She had been showing signs and everything and then after a couple attempts she seem to be terrified of the toilet. Does anyone have any tips on how to get her over this fear?

B.McWill

Asked by B.McWill at 3:29 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• just keep talking about it, read books about potty training and presenting incentive. for example, buy her her fave princess panties and tell her once pees/poos on the potty she get to wear them, set up a sticker chart etc... don't force her, or push her. if you ask and she says no, let it i go. you don't want this to became a power struggle.

jfyi, it is not unsual for her to regress a bit temporarily once the baby arrives.
    rfurlongg

Answer by rfurlongg at 3:33 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Are you putting her on the toilet or the potty? My son is two and we put his pot right in the living room with toys and let him watch cartoon.
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 3:37 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I would leave it for a bit and not force her to face her fear..she will when she is ready. Try not to rush her just so it is out of the way for your next baby either.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 3:42 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I will like to know best method for potty training...my son is 15 years old....he was never potty train actually...he just watch his father go to the bathroom..and pick it up at 8mos....my 15mos is scared of big toliet and the potty is a standing stool to her...she refused to sit...but sit on everything else
    FayMeek

Answer by FayMeek at 11:21 PM on Oct. 29, 2010