When a baby is born with the amniotic sac still intact....

.... does that cause any problems? How is the sac broken if that happens?

corbysmom531

Asked by corbysmom531 at 3:52 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

• No problems at all. It's called being born in the caul. The doc just would break it then. No harm.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:53 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• They are still squeezed, but, the sac is tougher than most folks realize. LOL Doctors almost always break it beforehand now a days, but, baby is still getting enough squeezing to get it all out.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:57 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• No, it doesn't cause any problems. The midwife or doctor will break the sac as the baby comes out. It's not that uncommon. (in hospitals they tend to break your water to speed up labour..so you don't see it as often in that setting) It can sometimes make for a softer less intense labour for mom and baby and some cultures think it is good luck :)
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 3:56 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Your doctor or midwife would suck it out with a little bulb syringe. Babies who go through a quick delivery sometimes have mucus in their noses for a week or so afterward (kinda of like a cold) It's not something to worry about unless it makes breathing difficult. My babies both had a little mucus for the first week or two. .
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 3:58 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Labor was not as intense for me when I labored most of the way through before they broke my water. Next time I am not going to let them break the water!!! I went to the hospital at 9.5 cm!! ANd I wasn't even sure if I was in real labor until I felt the need to push.

Like the others said, it doesn't cause a problem. Someone will break it. The baby gets the gunk out of their lungs as soon as they take that first breathe. Some babies will also cough up more over the next couple of days.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 4:07 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• That video made me teary eyed. I want another baby, I had my daughter via c-section. I am hoping for VBAC with our next.
    Mama2BabyTaurus

Answer by Mama2BabyTaurus at 8:22 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I've heard that means the child will be psychic,but that could be all BS to!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:55 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Agree with Braiden!

Answer by older at 3:55 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• The reason I ask, is that I thought a quick delivery doesn't give the baby a chance to get gunk out of his/her lungs. If the sac is never broken, then how does the baby get the stuff out? Call me an idiot, I just have no clue on that part of birth. lol
    corbysmom531

Comment by corbysmom531 (original poster) at 3:55 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• No it does not cause problems.. When i had my second child and she was almost out. sorry tmi.. But i remember them saying that it was still there. I was like whattt and kinda scared but then i guess he popped it or something b.c when she was out it wasn't there anymore.. Sorry i don't really know that much about it..
    aangelmommie03

Answer by aangelmommie03 at 3:58 PM on Oct. 26, 2010