What are some ways to afford/fund adoption costs?

We don't have much money, but want to adopt. We do own a home and have good jobs. We aren't sure fostering is the best way for us because it would be very difficult if the child left.

Asked by elwalters77 at 12:59 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Adoption

• We adopted our daughter through our state's foster care program. She was 2 days old when she came to us as a foster daughter and 15 months old when the adoption was finalized. All in all, our adoption costs were only $16.50 for the birth certificate. They paid all attorney fees, filing and court fees, and even helped her get an adoption subsidy. There are so many children waiting right now for homes. We looked into private and it was just too much money and almost felt like we were buying a baby.

Answer by mommytoadam at 9:52 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Beleive me we also can not afford our adoption. So far we are paying the application, attorney visit and homestudy cash. Once we are approve which should be soon, we have no other expense until we are matched at that time is $5,000.00 which we are hoping to save up for. Then once the baby is given to us the big $$$, we are going to do a home equity line or loan.

Answer by nononetnet at 1:28 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• We refinanced our house when we adopted. There are some organizations that give adoption grants and usually the agency or lawyer you use will tell you about those in your state.

Answer by shanamarie at 1:29 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Adopt a waiting child. The fees are much less, in fact most things are paid for or reimbursed!

Answer by Nicks_bride at 2:50 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• if you are being charged more than a few hundred dollars, someone is making a huge profit off of you. it cost me $200 to adopt my son back. also, be aware that adoption is not the same as having a child of your own. my son returned to me at age 20 and so do others as well. you have to be prepared that your adopted child may feel that they have more than 2 parents and love those parents the same as they love you. are you strong enough to be able to "share"? to be one of 3 or 4 parents emotionally for the child in question? be certain you know this answer before you adopt.

• Some agencies do indeed offer subsidies or grants to help people adopt .. ask about it. When we adopted we took a loan against my 401k for the bulk of the expense. I attended a local excercise salon where I knew the owner for some time, and she held a family day fundraiser for us.

I would also like to address the "adoption is not the same as having a child of your own" comment by a poster above. While this may have been the case in her son's life, it is most certainly NOT the case in most families!! My daughter is MY daughter as surely as if she had come from my womb. Sure a domestic adoption could come with more issues. You do have to be prepared to possibly, if not probably, have the birthparents in
    the childs life. That can be worked out in ways that make both parties happy. Please do not fear that the child will not ever feel like your child!! You will be that babies Mommy!

Answer by Tesnonian at 9:07 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• We have two adopted sons. One was a private adoption, the other through foster care. That first adoptin cost us $20,000+ and that was 8 years ago. THe other cost us nothing. We actually received forster care payments until the adoption was final and continue to receive monthly payments and he receives medical until he turns 18 (or 21). We did receive a $10,000 tax credit when the adoption was final - even though the adoption had no cost to us. Contact your local State Adoptions office. THey should offer classes or meetings to address your concerns and answer any questions.

Answer by karatemama at 11:34 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• This is a continuation of the answer above.

We were also afraid of taking in a child who would be removed. So we were very clear with the adoption worker that we wanted a child with little or no risk of removal. You can specifiy that. Be aware though. THese children have "issues." There is a reason that they are in the system. And you can also specify what types of things you are willing to deal with. Some people say no children who have been molested, for example. But you know, even if you birth your own children anything can happen. There is depression and alcoholism in my family. My birth children could have inherited these problems. I know people whose children were born with major health problems. Those things can happen to anyone.

Answer by karatemama at 11:35 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Some employers offer financial assistance for adoption. You can check with your employer. If they do not offer assistance and you are able to take on an additional part-time job with a company that does, that could be an option. I know that Target offers at least certain employees up to $5000 in financial assistance for adoption, but I'm not sure if that is available for part-timers. Also, a pre-paid legal service could be helpful in reducing costs. Some employers offer this for a very low fee, and it can also be purchased privately. Many pre-paid legal services include legal assistance for adoption.

Answer by sallymoon at 9:16 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• The problem with foster to adopt. You get attached to the child. Your sometimes promised the child is for adoption only, then the judge rules to give the child back to the real parents. I know this happen to my husband and me, after we had had the baby for months.

Answer by KATHYSF123 at 11:52 AM on Jun. 20, 2008