Leaving the hospital if you have a convertible car seat?

I'm pregnant with my second and we chose to do a convertible car seat for the little guy. I don't want another carrier, my DD grew out of it so quickly, it wasn't even worth buying it. Anyhow, I'm wondering if the hospital will have an issue with it, because I've heard a lot of people say they will not allow you to leave the hospital without one. I'm not going to bring my convertable seat inside. BUT, because it is my second baby, maybe they will trust that I know what I am doing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:12 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• Has anyone done this before?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:12 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• just let the nurse know. and she will walk with you to the car.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:13 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• The hospital I was at they had a nurse escort you out and they had to see that there was a car set installed. As long as there was a proper car seat, it was fine.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 4:13 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I haven't, our hospital also requires that you leave your room with baby already buckled in. However, I know that some hospitals in fact just require mom to hold baby while being wheeled out. I would think your hospital would make an exception considering. I'd bet you aren't the first, just be sure to call ahead and ask so you aren't caught off guard. :)
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 4:14 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I used a convertible one with my first baby (mind you this was nearly 20 years ago so maybe its changed) but they had no problem with it. I did however, have to bring it in for them to check it out. They had to make sure he fit in it correctly.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 4:15 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• More than likely you will be escorted out of the hospital in a wheelchair (holding the baby) by a nurse. She will check to be sure it is installed correctly. You could call the hospital you will be delivering at to find out what their policy is.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 4:18 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• im with scuba
    san78

Answer by san78 at 4:24 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I just had a baby in July and we weren't supposed to bring the carseat in but the nurse walked us to the car and made sure we buckled him all the way in.  He's our 5th child so she just kind of peeked in the window and said, "I think you know what you're doing," and left.

Only the one I had my 1st child at (in 2000) required us to bring the carseat into the hospital.  The others said to leave it in the car and then they checked to make sure we had one before taking the wheel chair and leaving.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:25 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• mine was born seven years ago and they didn't even check.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 4:29 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I've always been wheeled out holding the baby...
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 4:42 PM on Oct. 26, 2010