Thoughts on paying for a private class to insure an A or B

I can not decide what to do... part of me feels it is wrong... part of me feels this is the best way to avoid a horribly stressful semester for my child.

My dd is an A/B student.... but math and science has always been VERY difficult. So much so that we hire a tutor for the entire school year just so she can get a B out of the class. She is signed up for Chem next semester... but she can opt out and take a private chem class for full credit during the summer. The class is $1100. However, if she took chem next semester the tutor will cost us $855. So there is only a $245 difference.... but the stress level would be SO much less if she took it in a small private class during the summer.

Money is not really the issue... it is well with in our budget. However, I think I might have her pitch in money or extra chores towards the $245 just to make the point that it is above and beyond.

wwyd???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I think that as long as she can take the class and pass it then why spend all of that money so she gets an A or B. But if you feel that she has to have that high of a grade then I persionaly would just get the tutor.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 4:26 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• for two reasons.... first is the stress level we would avoid by having her take chem with all her other couses next semester, and two so she doesnt get a C... which she very well could if she took it at the high school.

She is an A/B student and that is perfectly acceptable... but why should she take a chance at screwing up her gpa if she has the opportunity to take it privately. This is the ONLY class that I think she couldnt pull out a B from.... althought I could be selling her short... but then why find out???? Im just torn.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:33 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Is she concerned that pulling a B is going to be difficult? If she is concerned about it and doesn't mind taking a course over the summer than that is what I would do. I wouldn't force it on her since her grades are already in good shape though.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 4:50 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Hmmmm......I have mixed feelings about this. Are you 100% sure she will get a B if she takes the class this summer? If science is that difficult for her she might still make a C.

Also, (and I need to remember this myself), a C is average. It isn't necessarily a bad grade although it might be a "deal breaker" when it comes to college applications.

This is interesting because I've never heard of a high school that allows credit for classes taken privately.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 4:52 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Well right now my daughter is taking an A.P. math class that is whipping her butt. and is so stressed out. She called me in tears wanting to change out of the class. So I had a little talk with her teacher. Turns out she is smart enough she can do the work it is just hard for her to learn the concepts. This teacher told me that he allows plenty of kids to go down to the lower class--however my daughter is not one of them.
    Some of the stress is real. She needs to learn a way to deal with the stress. Some classes do that to me too. I hate math and it is such hard work for me. I however had to learn it some how.
    I don't know what to tell you about your daughter. Perhaps she needs to tough it out I don't know. She has to learn coping mechanisms for her self. You can keep swooping in and removing them for her or she can figure out how to learn those skills. Only you can decide what is right for her.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 4:53 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Oh... Im sorry ladies... I didnt mention... I had no idea this was an option... she came to me with the idea. I did the research to make sure she was correct with all she was telling me. This is her idea... Im just trying to get my head around it... and decide if I feel ok with this choice.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:58 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• If she feels it's best for her, let her do it. It sounds like she must have done some homework on it too. She's growing up and becoming her own person - let her know you trust that she is able to make some wise decisions for herself. If you're still torn, have both of you, separately, make a pros/cons list for each option, and decide which one feels better. Get together and talk again about what you feel, and make a final decision.
    Reenieredhead

Answer by Reenieredhead at 5:08 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Let her take the regular class and do the best she can. Even if I had the money, I would not pay $1000 for a tutor or special class just to make sure she gets a B in a class. I would be happy with whatever she is capable of doing in that class. Not everyone is capable for A's and B's in every class. I could have had a one on one tutor and I still would never have gotten above a C in any higher math class, because I don't understand it. I am happy any time I get a C in a math class.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:58 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Check out the Sylvan Center. They specialize in helping students in weak subjects. I would have gone when I was a teen, but they didn't offer the class I was taking. (I shouldn't have been taking that class in the first place.)
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 10:51 AM on Oct. 29, 2010