Do you have/use a weather radio?

We recently moved to an area that does not use sirens for tornadoes or bad weather, they use the for the nuclear power plant instead so they suggest buying a weather radio. How well do they work, what brand do you like, do they scare the crap out of you when they go off?

foxracing43701

Asked by foxracing43701 at 4:21 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I have one that I bought from Walgreens. Works awesomely. And YES, it does scare the crap out of me. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:22 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Yes I have one. My in-laws gave it to us because of the area that we live in. It works great. And it is loud but it does not scare me when it goes off. The one that I have is a Midland.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 4:23 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I have one, but I turned the sound alerts off because it would scare the crap out of us in the middle of the night. We can hear sirens from inside our house, though. And, I don't care to be scared in the middle of the night for a flood warning. I wish I could just set it for tornado warnings, but it won't do that. Ours is also a Midland.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 4:29 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I have one, sometimes when we have bad weather I forget to turn it down at tight. Scares the crap out of me
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 5:04 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• No, but I need one after today. We had one warning after another and we had to move all the students next to the wall and away from the windows...it's November for petes' sake....crazy!
    Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 6:48 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Yes, we have one and yes, it scares the crap out of me every time it goes off. Seems to go off the most in the middle of the night when you are dead asleep....but I guess that's the point of having it. It works great though. We have the Midland one, you program in your county and any surrounding counties that you might want and if there's bad weather in any of the counties it will go off.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:35 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• These weather radios' have volume controls, you can keep it low unless you know weather is going to
    be bad... , but they go off on their own when the weather turns worse on their own..
    Most schools have them and usually turn them up when bad weather is expected...
    I have a Police/Fire Scanner that radio's out all weather alerts, but dh is a firefighter so he programed all
    the channels himself including the weather emergency one...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 4:28 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I have the Midland one. And yes, there are volume controls. BUT, when you have it up so you can here it at night and it goes blaring at midnight, you will jump. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:29 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:31 PM on Oct. 26, 2010