Do you believe in demonic possession and do you think exorcism works?

Explain, please :)

Who is at risk for being possessed? What does possession consist of? What is the purpose? Does exorcism actually work or is it just a psychosomatic response?

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 4:43 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have seen a lot of freaky shit that has all the earmarks of "demon possession" - but in spite of this, I do not believe in it. There was some bizarre energies in the room, but "demon" has become kind of a catch-all phrase for negative energy. Does "exorcism" then work? It depends on what the "victim" believes. Beliefs dictate actions - if they believe they are free - they are. If they don't, they won't. Huge question here, way outside the scope of a few characters we have here to answer! Good one, tho!
    mommyx9

Answer by mommyx9 at 7:25 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• If we believe in angel and God then we should also believe in demons and the Devil. You can't have one without the other..sorry. I think that possession if very rare and often you have to "invite" the demon in..you can't just be possessed without consenting in some way. Whether through inappropriate movies, books, games or behaviour..I think that you open a door for it to happen. Anna is right when she says that you have to go through a psychological assessment before you can participate in an exorcism and priest are not longer trained in it. There is usually one priest for each diocese that can do it and it's a secret . You also need approval from a Bishop. It's taken VERY seriously..it's not a game.
    Here is a good book about it if you are interested.
    http://books.google.com/books/ignatius_press?id=urn64e4noIMC&dq=exorcism&source=gbs_navlinks_s
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 5:40 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I believe in possibilities.....Although the Catholic Church believes it's possible, she also teaches it is very rare....priests are no longer automatically trained in exorcism, some are, but must get permission from the bishop to perform one.....and that is so rare that most bishops never get asked...There is an official exorcist at the Vatican......like I said, possibilities....before someone is thought to be demon-possessed, they would go through a psychatric evaluation by a psychiatrist, because the Church recognizes that the majority of so-called demon possessions are really psychiatric illnesses....that is why it is a very rare occurance....all logical other possibilities must be ruled out before even entertaining the possibility of a possession...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 5:14 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Yes I believe this is real.
    Demons are liars, deceivers, stealers and killers. Yes I believe people are possessed by them... I have see deliverances and Christians set free. I have seen people manifest demonically as well. I have SEEN the demons as well.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:12 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• To those voting answers down, please provide your own. Don't just vote down a perfectly polite answer because you disagree with it and then not tell us why you did it or what you think about the subject.
    Ati_13

Comment by Ati_13 (original poster) at 5:38 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Yes, but not in the Christian sense. Do I believe in "Demons"? Yes, I believe Demon is a term used to describe a form of lesser spiritual beings than ourselves. In turn, Angel describes a form of a spiritually higher being, yet not a God or Goddess... Do I believe they (Demons or Angels) can influence and even possess animals and even people? Sure. However, I don't for a second believe that every possession really is. Now, to the subject of exorcism... Yes, I do believe it's possible and have done some basic research on the subject. There are examples of exorcism dating back to the earliest civilizations, and they continue to happen today, in both Christian and non-Christian settings.

It all comes down to energy - How other being can affect our energy and how we can affect theirs...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:26 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• So, shane... What DO demons look like, exactly?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:58 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• No, I dont believe in it and I think exorcism makes everyone feel better about the situation but isnt necessarily a cure all/fix all.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:45 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Personally, no. But it seems the Catholic Church does. ANd some of the people who are cut off from society and form cults . A few years ago there was a ciminal case in which a small boy was being "Exorcised" and the parents and a "cult leader" smothered him.
    I hope "possessions" and Exorcisms are no longer reecognized as anything real.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 4:48 PM on Oct. 26, 2010