Sleeping problems...

My son is almost 5 months old and wakes up at least 2, sometimes 3 times a night. He doesn't nap well either. I feed him 7 ounces every 4 hours and cereal twice a day but he always seems hungry in the middle of the night. He should be able to go much longer without eating. His last bottle is around 11PM. Any suggestions? I need sleep!!

erinb75

Asked by erinb75 at 7:25 AM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It looks like we're on the same boat !!! My daughter is eight months and eats just as much as your son. I noticed that she eats more during the night than the day. She becomes a little monster at night and just wants to eat. I feed her 3 times a day and a 9 oz bottle of formula every 4 hours as well. I just guess every baby has their own appetite.
    MrsIrume

Answer by MrsIrume at 7:50 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• This just started with my 5 month old two nights ago too!!!
    Sarabear35

Answer by Sarabear35 at 12:39 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I went through this with my son also - I don't have any advise though - I had to grin and bear it -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:46 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• My 9mo still isn't sleeping through the night. GL
    angeladh82

Answer by angeladh82 at 2:08 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• You know, my son at almost 1 still wakes up 1 time - I really think some kids are just not sleepers through the night like some others - nothing would fill my son's belly and he ate the best at night .and it was very hard hearing how "oh my baby slept at 6 weeks" but there's really nothing you can do -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:32 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Maybe he's waking more out of habit than hunger. Is it the same time(s) every night? If that's the case, try letting him go back to sleep on his own. If you pick him up, even to just comfort him, he'll expect to get fed and get really upset. Obviously, if his crying gets bad go to him. (He isn't sleeping with you is he? That could also be the reason for waking and expecting to be fed) If you do believe he's waking because he's actually hungry, I'd recommend feeding him every 3.5 hours or an extra serving of cereal during the day. You want to fill him up as much as possible during the day so it can hold him over through the night.
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 4:45 PM on Oct. 30, 2008