Harvesting seeds from fruits at the store?

Is it possible to take watermellon, cantelope, and honeydew seeds from fruits you buy at the store to use next season for planting? Has anyone ever done it? What other fruits/veggies can you do that with?

CABlonde

Asked by CABlonde at 4:55 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I have an Avacado tree that is 2 years old I got it from and organic avacado
    chica1965

Answer by chica1965 at 4:57 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Yes, you can use the seeds from store bought fruit and vegies. Just dry the seeds out. and then plant them next year.

Answer by louise2 at 5:01 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Yep, I used to do it as a kid. With watermelons, be sure you harvest the black seeds. The white are too immature to sprout.

I've done with this chiles, watermelon, pumpkin, plum, avocado, bell pepper, tomatoes, garlic and potatoes. (For garlic and potatoes, plant the clove or a 1/4 of a potato w/ eyes.)
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 5:03 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Well I do grow my avocado seeds all the time. My largest is now 4 feet tall. The problem with planting the seeds from the store is that usually the cold will kill most of the seeds or stop them from growing. Sometimes you get lucky. .
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 6:37 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Try an organic or a heirloom variety. A lot of the regular produce are hybrids and not intended to be reharvested.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:20 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Alot of fruits and vegetables purchased in the grocery store can sprout and produce fruit. For best results, use heirloom type, but they often do not label them at the store, so you won't know. The problem with hybrids is that the offspring from the seeds are unpredictable. For example, a hybrid apple may sprout and produce fruit, but the fruit won't be the same as the one you got from the stor! Weird but true - it's how hybrids work.
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 9:28 AM on Oct. 27, 2010