Juggling Work and School

I always find it odd that under an occupation heading, I have never seen part time worker, full time student, full time mom. I'm 21, my son will be 2 in December, and I am getting my second year of college in right now while trying to work enough to maintain daycare coverage through srs. I always feel strained between the three roles, and I rarely have time for myself. Any tips on the situation?

smltwngrl22

Asked by smltwngrl22 at 5:03 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Money & Work

• I'm in the exact same boat...full-time student, part-time job and being a fulltime wife/mommy.
    it's definitely hard, but I know it will be well worth it in the end.
    I'm 21 also with an almost 2 yr old, and I'm completing my 4th and final year, graduating in May, FINALLY!

just remind yourself that it will be well worth the outcome in the end! and besides...I'd rather be incredibly busy than incredibly bored! it does suck being away from my son and my husband all the time....BUT, such is life. we gotta do what we gotta do to help our families survive. :)
    -mrs.mamma-

Answer by -mrs.mamma- at 5:10 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I know, I can't wait til the day when this all pays off. I don't get the assistance of his father in the house to help take care of him, so studying and such can be difficult.
    smltwngrl22

Comment by smltwngrl22 (original poster) at 5:13 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• You can do it! I went back to college when I was single mom to a 2 year old, and the one thing that kept me focused was knowing that my daughter was watching and learning. I wanted her to see that hard work does pay off, and I wanted her to be proud of me. I knew if I didn't get through school I'd always be struggling to provide for her, so graduating really was a light at the end of the tunnel. It is hard for you now, but it will be worth the effort. GL!

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:23 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I work full-time (42+ hrs per week), and I also am attending college PT (6 credits right now). What's helped me so far is to put the kids to bed at a firm time (by 7:30-8PM) this way, I get about 4 hours of homework time, every night. Also I read or do homework during my lunch hour. I'm in bed every night by midnight, up at 5am, at first that was rough but I'm used to the less sleep now. My husband is a FT college student and works 30 hrs a week, so he does what he can but most of the household chores, etc fall on my shoulders.
    One day soon it will be very much worth it!!
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 5:33 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I was in a similar situation (FT mom, FT lab tech, PT student) and it can be so had! My best advice is get a calendar, schedule your time and stick to it! Write down when your tests and homworks are, and plan time to work on that before it is due. You might have to lose sleep in order to make it work. I used to always remind myself that it is a temporary situation and won't last forever.

One of my best methods to cope is to do kitchen stuff all at once - on Sunday get groceries and clean all the fruit and vegs, plan snacks, make freezer-friendly meals, etc. I also double up on meals, like make chicken in the oven one night for dinner but cook double the meat I need. Immediately put the extra half in the fridge for next night's dinner, which should be easier if the meat it cooked.
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 9:18 AM on Oct. 27, 2010