Asthma

My son is 13 months and has asthma, he gets attacks when ever he gets a cold. What can i do to prevent his asthma attacks?

Spanglishtrini

Asked by Spanglishtrini at 7:30 AM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• All you can do is try to prevent the things that trigger that childs asthma. My grandson has been out of school three days this week due to asthma. On top of allergies triggering he is like most astmatics.. Colds often trigger. Mine had a barely sniffle and wound up full blown, ER here we come attack. This one was so bad they had to admit him and start an IV to give him Solu-Medrol. I wish I could be more help. It's really just a matter of lots of handwashing, avoiding certain places and things....and yet..it will always happen again.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:23 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Allergies trigger the asthma in my son. His Dr. told us to give him Zyrtec every day through allergy season. So far, it has helped. He had one weekend where he got a little wheezy and we had to give him the breathing treatments on our nebulizer a few times, but that cleared it up. However, since your son is so young, I'd ask the Dr. about any preventative steps you can take.
    icook

Answer by icook at 8:47 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I would take him to the DR and see what they can give him. My son takes Singular and Zyrtec, he has eczema as well as asthma. It is best to try and do preventive things instead of trying to treat every attack.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:04 AM on Oct. 30, 2008