Potty training with 3 day method - day 1

Put on her big girl undies today, waited for her to start to go. She noticed right away when it happened and I praised her and rushed her to her potty. Since then she's been going on the potty but she doesn't pull her undies down yet and she won't tell me when she has to go! She just runs over there & sits down. I'm very proud of her for this but I can't get her to tell me when she has to go! Well she did once or twice today... but we haven't had a potty incident yet coming out with dry undies. We're 6 for 7 - only ONE accident and that was b/c we were outside for a minute. So I think we're doing pretty good. I've shown her a few times how to pull her undies down but she has a little trouble. She's 29 mo. She mastered ripping her shoes/socks off, can kind of get her socks on, but can't get her undies down before a pee pee. No biggie, just PLEASE LET MOMMY KNOW! :)

Am I doing this right? How do I get her to tell mommy?

MamaLisa1976

Asked by MamaLisa1976 at 5:04 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds like you are doing great, and so is she! But please don't expect her to be proficient in 3 days.....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 5:06 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I alway brang my kids to the toilet. I would say, time to go potty. Sometimes they would tell me they had to go. So she is 2 1/2 yo?

Answer by louise2 at 5:13 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Yep, she'll be 2 1/2 Nov.21. She's taken interest in her potty on & off for the last 9 mo or so. Last month we had a good first couple of weeks going on the potty but she had pull ups & I was asking her like every 15 min.
    MamaLisa1976

Comment by MamaLisa1976 (original poster) at 5:42 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Also, what do I do tonight overnight? Put a pad down & let her wet the bed?
    MamaLisa1976

Comment by MamaLisa1976 (original poster) at 5:43 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• i'm with anna92464......maybe you're doing it a little too early, i mean if she can't tell you or pull panties down...you might wait just a little bit longer....i know diapers are a pain, but she'll tell you when she's ready....it took my dd until she was 28 months before she decided that she was ready....and it only took 2 days....by day 3 we were out and about with no accidents. i'm not saying this is the magic age, but your dd will let you know when she's ready. maybe to help the process along, if she has a cousin or anyone she really takes up with, (it worked with my dd) telling her that "_____ goes potty on the big girl potty...don't you want to be like _____ and peepee on the big girl potty"..my dd was so proud of herself bc she was like her my-my, when we tried it. it sounds like you're doing good though...also try letting her run around bottomless until she gets the hang of it, and then put her in panties....good luck!
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 5:51 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• as far as night time training, the way i understood it (dd had stopped peeing at night for months before we trained, and still doesnt), but put her in a diaper or a pull up, and wake her up ten min before she normally gets up.....i don't know how it helps...but its what i've read on here..
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 5:53 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Actually since I posted this I called my mom to tell her the events of the day & while I was on the phone with her she went "Mommy, help me pull my pants down!" and she was standing in front of the potty! :) <3 She wet just a little, but did the rest in the potty. If she's not ready now, she's RIGHT on the edge. I think I'll continue the next few days and see how she does. She is picking this up pretty darn fast & I want to take advantage of her interest in it as much as possible right now! :) After that good 9 days or so in the beginning of Sept. she just was like "NOPE" and didn't want anything to do with it until now.
    MamaLisa1976

Comment by MamaLisa1976 (original poster) at 6:04 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Doing great with the daytime stuff in my opinion. It will take a little bit for her to get the hang of everything. Dont push to hard to fast.

The night time stuff is another thing. What we did was cut off all drinking about an hour to hour and a half before bed time. Oh they can have a sip here or there but not a lot. Trip to the potty right before bed and then as soon as they start to stir in the morning off to the potty. Every now and again there is an accident but its usually because we forget what time it is and give them a full glass of milk or something right before bed. And since we werent paying attention we didnt wake them up before we went to bed to get rid of the drink we gave. And so...accident at 2 am.

Good luck.
    Jwick

Answer by Jwick at 6:20 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• The first day with my kids, I just took them every hour or so. They didn't tell me until the second day, and even then it was usually too late. My kids didn't pull their own pants down for a few days. You're doing great!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:55 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Just put her in a pull up at night. Do that until she wakes up dry in the morning for a week or two. Why put yourself through the extra laundry? That takes longer.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:56 PM on Oct. 26, 2010