Halloween is Dangerous!!

Or so people would like you to think...I always find if kind of funny when people mention poison candy or razor blades in apples or whatever...ummm...where are these folks taking their kids? If someone were to do that it would be pretty easy to narrow it down as to where it came from considering most people trick or treat in their own neighborhood (or in our case we used to go to grandma's neighborhood). There has been NO documented cases of poison candy or razor blades in fruit or candy. It's an urban legend. I want to hear ONE person tell me they have found poison candy or a razor blade. And none of this, I "read" or "my friend said" business...actual personal experience.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:28 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Holidays

• yes there are freaks out there but hey I'm 37 and never got anything weird in my candy as a kid......
    MLH92108

Answer by MLH92108 at 7:04 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I totally agree with you. ARE there freaks out there? Yes. Should you know which houses to avoid? Yes. Should you check your kids candy? Yes. Should you discourage home made gifts or food? Yes... That's just basic common safety, Halloween or not... But I have yet to find a needle in the candy, or have anyone get sick... And if you are really going to let all the "what if's" scare you away from having fun, you should invest in a bubble to live in...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:33 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I wouldnt take any unwrapped homemade candy from strangers, not just b/c of this reason..but mainly b/c of cleanliness issues...you never know how well people keep their hands and kitchens clean when making stuff.

That is my main reason.

I think poison and stuff like that has possibly happened, just not recently I guess.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:34 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Checked snopes and it said basically (after a quick scan it was long...lol) That poison in candy had never really been found...but foreign objects HAD been found but were of course few and far between.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:37 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Another one 1964...housewife was annoyed at kids too old to be asking for candy...handed out arsenic instead.

Also handed out...dog biscuts, steal wool pads....

Another one is about a father who put cyanide in Pixie Stix....He was convicted of murder in 75 and got lethal injection.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:43 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Wow, I never thought of that for the kids who are too old to be begging for candy. But I really wouldn't want them to die. Maybe just some extra-fiber bars for them :)
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 6:44 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Maybe just some extra-fiber bars for them :)

Chocolate covered xlax....hahahahahahaha

We had a girl in high school do that to our football team one time....hahahahahaha!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:23 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• You can never be to sure. It happens. We don't live in a small town where everyone knows everybody. We don't even know our neighbors.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 5:31 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Yeah, I remember when I went trick or treating I came home with a pillow case FULL of stuff! and great stuff too, homemade popcorn balls and rice krispy treats... now people don't hand those out because they know the majority of parents are going to throw them out anyway. I do remember getting pennies too, what's up with that?? those are probably the most dangerous thing you could hand out, lol...
    1st_time_mom23

Answer by 1st_time_mom23 at 5:34 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• My father found something in my sister's candy (this was way back in the late 60's early 70's. No idea where it happened because I was a baby at the time it happened, and I have no idea why it was not documented. There may be other cases (though admittedly very rare) out there that people did not do anything about other than throw out the offending items. Not debating, just stating what happened in my family. Urban legends get a start somewhere so there has been at least a grain or two of truth there.
    That being said, I think most people are not out there to harm little kids by poisoning them and its why people stick with store bought candy instead of homemade treats unless they know and trust the person. But parents are still going to be concerned and rightly so.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 5:39 PM on Oct. 26, 2010