New Army Study

General Casey announces a study on the effect of war on the Army as a profession.

http://defensenews.com/blogs/ausa/2010/10/26/casey-announces-study/

BlueCollarMama

Asked by BlueCollarMama at 5:38 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• BlueCollarMama

Comment by BlueCollarMama (original poster) at 5:38 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I hope they can change a few things. My husband is a career soldier and I have already seen several of his soldiers have trauma from their tour last year. I have a ton of faith in Gen. Casey and hope that his focus will shift somewhat to the soldiers/families and not just the war.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 5:41 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I agree Ashlie I teach every wife I come into contact with about the early and late warning signs of PTSD issues and I have serious issues with the military (all branches) thinking that the counseling they give post-deployment that amounts to nothing more the a "don't beat your wife" speech is all these guys need!
    BlueCollarMama

Comment by BlueCollarMama (original poster) at 5:44 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I agree. I am a huge part of my FRG and the "reintegration briefs" dont really tell you much. They dont tell you whats normal, and what isnt. Its very scary and I would like to see more support without stigma being offered. MilitaryOneSource is great for counseling but actual treatment is hard to get.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 5:47 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• The whole "my career will be over" thing really can't be stressed as a falacy enough. My husband got help through the Marine Corps for his, and while they wouldn't formally diagnose him or let him get help outside the branch, we're still very much active duty military 4 years later.
    BlueCollarMama

Comment by BlueCollarMama (original poster) at 5:49 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I hope things change and soon. There was a guy in my husbands company who went to the commander and told him that he knew something wasnt right in his head because all he wanted to do was just kill someone. They gave him counceling for about 2 years and then discharged him. But it is crazy how much this can effect the soldiers depolyed and their friends and family when they get back. I am so glad that my husband is not going on his units deployment in Jan. He just finished his recovery period from his surgery so they already had the deployment list set and I am so thankful for that. I think that they should talk to the spouces of the deployed soldiers so that they know what they should be looking for when their spouse comes home. Good luck to all of the families that have a member deployed and I hope they come home safe.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 9:55 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Shelii I agree the counseling is no where near good enough and the post-discharge care is scraping the bottom of the barrel at best. The VA has men still waiting for initial appointments that submitted their paperwork in 04!
    BlueCollarMama

Comment by BlueCollarMama (original poster) at 9:59 PM on Oct. 26, 2010